MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Frozen meat

Joni

Hi, I bought a half a beef critter 2 summers back. this is the 3rd summer. Do any of you ladies know just how long beef lasts in the freezer? I hate to toss it but I do not need to get sick either. It was wrapped real good and there is no freezer burn on it.

Thank you,Joni

If it has been frozen solid all of the time it should not be a health hazard. The taste may not be as good as it would have been earlier. The nutritional value has probably declined as well.

Other thoughts anyone?

I would put it in the crockpot and cover with soup or something and let it cook until very tender. After all this time in the freezer it may be dry. Otherwise it should be ok but as goatherder said there may be a little nutritional loss.

I found a roast in my freezer just recently that had been there 2 years. Being a cheapskate I didn't throw it out. I decided to cook it covered with a quart of my canned chicken broth in the crockpot and if the taste was off to give it to the dogs. It tasted delicious and no different than a fresh one would have. I also added onion and celery to the crockpot.

Give it a try and let us know what you thought of it.

Archived