MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ole gooseberries

nmchick

Ok, I'm out here in the midwest visiting kin and we are overflowing with gooseberries. The children like to eat a few whenever we pass the bushes, but otherwise there is no enthusiasm for consumption! I don't like them very much cooked (pie or preserves) -- they have kind of a weird metallic taste to me. But, they are tasty raw in moderation. Wondering if any of you had tried drying them. People eat dried currents, why not gooseberries?

If you've dried them, how? I thought about stringing them on a thread like you do green beans for leather britches. Would they stick to the thread?

I think I'll do some experiments anyway, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thank you,

NMChick

Gooseberry wine...

(I came across this recipe for Gooseberry Crumble, not what you were looking for, but I felt a good place to put it for others looking for gooseberry recipes.)

------

This dish is an easily prepared and economical dessert, especially at the time of year when gooseberries are plentiful. The basic method can be used for other fillings, such as rhubarb, apple or apple and blackberry.

Gooseberry Crumble

8oz/ 250g/ 2 cups self-raising flour

4oz/ 125g/ 1/2 cup soft brown sugar

4oz/ 125g/ 1/2 cup butter

2lb/ 1kg/ 10 cups gooseberries

6oz/ 200g/ 1 cup caster sugar

Using your fingertips, rub butter lightly into the flour in a large bowl. When the texture resembles fine breadcrumbs, mix in the brown sugar. Top and tail the berries and cover with the crumble mixture in an oven-proof dish, pressing the surface down lightly. Bake for 45 minutes in the centre of a pre-heated oven at gas mark 4/ 180°C/ 350°F. Serve hot with cream.

From the Appletree Press title: A Little Irish Cookbook.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/cultu...g/goosebry.shtm

Archived