MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple butter

preparing

I was going to do the apple butter in the Ball Blue Book, but remembered the posts about the crock pot. The Ball Blue Book does not say how long it takes to get it the right thickness, so if you get your apples cooked and mashed and you now start adding the spices and sugar, how long would it take on top of the stove? I was going to double the recipe and after my apples got done, I have 3 quarts and the ball book is 2 quarts, so double I would need 4 quarts, and my crockpot only holds 2 quarts, so I was going to peel more apples in the morning and keep the apples already cooked in the frig, and then finish tomorrow, so when I get my apples done and add the sugar and spices, how long will it take on top of the stove? Lots of stirring and watching, is that the reason for the crockpot?

I've never made apple butter on top of the stove...yet, but yes I would think that there would definitely be alot more watching an stirring on the stove. When I make mine in the crockpot, I stir it occassionally, but more just to continue mixing the sugars/spices with the apples and to get a feel on how thick it has gotten.

Perhaps someone else has made it on the stove.

I can't tell you how long it takes but I know it's much easier to do in the oven because you put it on low heat and it doesn't stick. Stir it periodically and when it "looks" right it's ready!

I've also used my electric roaster on low. The roaster holds a lot more than a Dutch oven but you have to keep a pretty constant eye on it because of the sticking.

Well I put the smashed cooked apples in the frig. I am going to get up in the morning and peel apples and do enough to go with the first batch to make a double batch that is in the Ball book and then get it going on the stove. I figure I will be busy in there cleaning and get the jars and all that ready. I can just keep checking and get other stuff done. While it is going I might even peel the last of them and then make applesauce with the last of the apples. I want to get to the fruit stand and check out the gala apples and see what else they have. Thanks again!

You go girl...you are doing SO awesome and I am so proud of you! You have guts and determination and you remind me a little of myself lol.

Keep the questions coming...we're all cheering you on!

((((preparing))))

Peeling apples is the longest part of apple butter or apple sauce. Have you ever seen one of these? Apple Sieve Years ago an older neighbor woman saw me sitting on the porch and stopped to talk. She laughed at me, went home and brought me a sieve and said give this a try. It made it so much easier and quicker. I quarter the apples, cut out any bad spots and take off the stem ends. Cook them and run through the seive. Ebay also sells them, so if you're interested give it a try.

Also, when you really get into this and know you're going to keep doing it you might buy a Squeezo. It's the neatest thing I know of to use for apple butter and applesauce. Here's a link to a brand new one but NEVER pay that price. If you watch Ebay you can get them much much cheaper. Squeezo

Enjoy!!!

I second the Squeezo!

They're wonderful! You can get screens for taking the tiny seeds out of raspberries all the way up to a big one for straining pumpkins.

If I remember correctly, you just treat that type of thing like you do a dutch oven. scrape off the rust, wash it and treat with warm oil...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived