MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I Can't Believe It's Not 'Hidden Valley' Ranch Dressing Mix...mmm-good!

After much tweaking, tinkering and fiddling around with recipes for homemade Ranch Dressing Mix, I am delighted to share my best with you:

Pure Cajun Sunshine's "I Can't Believe It's Not 'Hidden Valley' Ranch Dressing Mix"

DRY MIX - To use, mix one tablespoon dry mix to 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. No buttermilk? See below for buttermilk substitutes.

7 saltine crackers

1 cup dry parsley flakes, measured first, then finely crumbled

1/4 cup dry minced onion

1 tablespoon dry dill weed

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

3 1/2 tablespoons onion powder

3 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder

Whiz crackers in a blender on high speed until finely pulverized. Add remaining ingredients, and pulverize everything almost to a powder. This can be stored in a covered container for up to a year without losing flavor. The dry powdered mix does not need refrigeration (but the prepared dressing does).

TO MAKE RANCH DRESSING

Mix well one tablespoon dry mix to 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. Refrigerate. For best flavor, prepare the dressing at least two hours before using.

LOW FAT, LOW CALORIE VERSION

For a rich tasting and delicious low calorie and low fat dressing, use 1 cup Kraft Mayo (Fat Free Mayonnaise Dressing), and 1 cup Lowfat Buttermilk. This translates to only 8 1/2 calories each tablespoon serving.

BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTES -Try any one of the following:

--> 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar (let stand 5 -10 minutes before using)

--> 1/2 plain yogurt + 1/2 milk

--> 1 cup plain yogurt (thicker)

--> 1 cup milk + 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter

--> 1 cup sour cream

This may be reprinted if the following credit is given:

This recipe is an excerpt from Mrs. Tightwad's Handbook #5 : QUICK SUBSTITUTES & EASY FORMULAS FOR OVER 100 CANT'-DO-WITHOUT ITEMS. For more information, see the left sidebar on this site: http://purecajunsunshine.blogspot.com/

PoGo, I wondered that myself, until I tried a copycat type recipe that omitted the crackers (or had too few/many). Bleecchh! Too thin/thick! The crackers give the final result more oomph, and more body, with just the right hint of flavor. TIP: be sure to pulverize it finely, with no bits and pieces!

After trying almost a dozen (!) different Ranch Dressing recipes that's floating around Out There, I narrowed it down to the the best few, and tinkered with them until this'n was born... 'tis too good to keep all to myself! Enjoy!

--Sharon

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
copied it off to try. . . . thanks!
btw - nice blog spot wink
read a lot of it today..............

Michael2

Oh hey, this just makes my day! Thanks! It's something I've never done before, and I was wondering how others would see it...too old fashioned? Too Cajun-y? Too, what?? So, between your post and Mother's a coupla weeks ago, and comments from others here and there...I feel like maybe I might be on the "right page" after all?

--Sharon
  • 1 month later...

I just made this, I don't like the taste of Mayo so I always substitute 1/2 the Mayo with yogert or sour cream. Very good that way to. My Uncle taught me that trick, says it is healthier I just think it tastes better. : )

Archived