MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New here

Hello to you!

Been glancing over the site and landed first in this discussion group. This will be my very first post! smile

I have a "library" of herb books and find it sooo good to find others interested in these natural medicines.

Of all my books, I think that if I could only have one-if I could only carry one with me, it would be "Jude's Herbal Home Remedies". It's a wonderful little book that I have for years suggested to everyone. In it, you will find how to make tinctures, oils, poultices, etc. and it suggests what to have in your "Medicine Cabinet". It goes through all the systems of the body as well. It tells you how to mix different herbs for illnesses. Lots of great info in this book. It costs about $12.

Another suggestion I would like to offer is to be informed about the interactions between herbs and the prescription meds you may take (or the meds of your loved one you are treating). There are some good reference books out there for this, too.

In these times we are in, and with all the people who are already without medical insurance....and those who will not in the (near) future, herbal treatment will be the medicine that we will have to know about in each of our homes. There are other natural methods of treating illnesses that one may need to know also-other alternative healing methods. Here's to learning and sharing these healing ways!

Mountain Child

a chocolate vitamin! chocolate cake has it, chocolate ice cream has it, chocolate candy bars has it!

I can see.... I am so misunderstood!

wait until I talk about the Wine Vitamin!

chamomile.jpgMy favorite.

Welcome Mt.Child, just a word of warning hide your chocolate Westie is addicted. She digs through peoples pockets so if you want to keep it hide it well.

I think you will enjoy it here rocks

Westie stay out of Mt. Child's pockets here this is for you

choco.jpg

welcome5 Mountain Child. I'm glad you're here with us. I'm sure you are a wonderful herbalist but please don't let Westy enfluence you with that vitamin nonsence. She is only a chocoholic and NOT a biologist so can't tell a vitamin from an amino acid. Every one knows that chocolate is a building block in our systems, don't they? It's not something we can synthesize in our own bodies so it must be essential. It's found in so many protein foods, like cake and candy, that I'm positive it's an amino acid and it's probabaly even an essential fatty acid. rollingeyes I know these things. I'm allergic to chocolate and have health problems because I can't eat it. cry

Besides, Only PEEPS are vitamins. Trust me, I'm older than Westy and know these things. Ask her why she eats PURPLE PEEPS! For her health of course.

( running Mother goes off shaking her head at the lack of knowledge in young people nowadays. )

Now, Mountain Child. You sound knowledgable about herbs and such and I believe we can really use you here on this forum if you will just forget this nonsense about Vitamin Chocolate and realize what a good amino acid it really can be. Hmmm, do you suppose we should send a chocolate mint plant to Westy? grin It's one of MY favorites.

PS. I sure hope you've read some of the more serious posts on here and found out that we really aren't crazy all the time. lol I'm really glad to have you join us. I don't have Jude's Herbal Home Remedies but I'll have to look for it. I'm always on the look-out for an herb book. Thanks for the suggestion. I believe one of my old time favorites is by Jeanne Rose the Herbal Body Book, the original one, I understand there's a new one out too.

Please jump in with your posts. I'm looking forward to them.

bighug

Chamomile is one of the herbs in my arthritis tea. I'm so glad it grows here easily, because I like the leaves better than the open flowers. Whenever you get it in the store, it is always mainly fully-opened flowers.

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I am very glad that my friend suggested this site.

Okay, Mother....I needed to find out more about chocolate and it's properties; just 'cause the subject is open and I love to learn more!

Here goes:

"Chocolate also contains tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid. It is the rate-limiting step in the production of the mood-modulating neurotransmitter serotonin.

Chocolate contains small quantities of anandamide, an endogenous cannabinoid found in the brain. Sceptics claim one would need to consume several pounds of chocolate to gain any very noticeable psychoactive effects; and eat a lot more to get fully stoned. Yet it's worth noting that N-oleolethanolamine and N-linoleoylethanolamine, two structural cousins of anandamide present in chocolate, both inhibit the metabolism of anandamide. It has been speculated that they promote and prolong the feeling of well-being induced by anandamide.

Chocolate contains caffeine. But the caffeine is present only in modest quantities. It is easily obtained from other sources. Indeed a whole ounce of milk chocolate contains no more caffeine than a typical cup of "decaffeinated" coffee.

Chocolate's theobromine content may contribute to - but seems unlikely to determine - its subtle but distinctive psychoactive profile. Surprisingly, perhaps, recent research suggests that pure theobromine may be superior to opiates as a cough medicine due to its action on the vagus nerve.

Acute monthly cravings for chocolate amongst pre-menstrual women may be partly explained by its rich magnesium content. Magnesium deficiency exacerbates PMT. Before menstruation, too, levels of the hormone progesterone are high. Progesterone promotes fat storage, preventing its use as fuel; elevated pre-menstrual levels of progesterone may cause a periodic craving for fatty foods. One study reported that 91% of chocolate-cravings associated with the menstrual cycle occurred between ovulation and the start of menstruation. Chocolate cravings are admitted by 15% of men and around 40% of women. Cravings are usually most intense in the late afternoon and early evening.

Cacao and chocolate bars contain a group of neuroactive alkaloids known as tetrahydro-beta-carbolines. Tetrahydro-beta-carbolines are also found in beer, wine and liquor.

One UK study of the human electroencephalographic (EEG) response to chocolate suggests that the odour of chocolate significantly reduces theta activity in the brain. Reduced theta activity is associated with enhanced relaxation. This study needs replication.

Perhaps chocolate's key ingredient is its phenylethylamine (PEA) "love-chemical". Yet the role of the "chocolate amphetamine" is disputed. Most if not all chocolate-derived phenylethylamine is metabolised before it reaches the CNS. Some people may be sensitive to its effects in very small quantities.

Phenylethylamine is itself a naturally occurring trace amine in the brain. Phenylethylamine releases dopamine in the mesolimbic pleasure-centres; it peaks during orgasm. Taken in unnaturally high doses, phenylethylamine can produce stereotyped behaviour more prominently even than amphetamine. Phenylethylamine has distinct binding sites but no specific neurons. It helps mediate feelings of attraction, excitement, giddiness, apprehension and euphoria; but confusingly, phenylethylamine has also been described as an endogenous anxiogen. One of its metabolites is unusually high in subjects with paranoid schizophrenia."

So, it sounds like to me that I will be surely having some of this in my personal kit! Reese cups by the pounds! (guess that will be dehydrated peanut butter powder and cocoa)

Mountain Child

Hi, Leah

Chamomile is just one of those herbs that has many gifts of healing.

I have used it successfully to heal myself (and another)of kidney stones. It has cured several of bladder infections.

It is a very good antibiotic also; treating strep and staph.

It has been suggested to use to heal gangrene in an old,old herbal book I have. Wanted to try it once for a patient, but was a no go per the Director of Nursing. (Yep....I am an RN...)

To me, using herbs before amputation is a no-brainer; but the doctors still have a lot to learn!

Mountain Child

mountain Child ,nice to meet you.

welcome6

Your recipe for Kidney stones If you have it handy could you post it. I just was diagnosed with a couple of those darling things and I wish to use a herbal remedy if possible. Thank you

Joni frown

Hi, Joni

Thanks for the welcome.

What my friend and I both have used for kidney stones is Chamomile tea; add to it Parsley (diuretic) and some olive oil.

I suggest drinking this 3 times a day. This is for acute symptoms. And of course, drink lots of water.

And remember, to check for any interactions with pharmaceuticals you may be taking or any allergies you may have to Chamomile or Parsley. There's lots of wonderful info online.

I had an awful history of stones (have passed approx. 20 of them boogers!); but drinking Chamomile tea has truly made them disappear from my life.

Good luck!

Mountain Child

grin I somehow just KNEW you were going to be a great addition to Mrs. S. Great posts. Keep up the good work.

bighug

• 2 weeks later...

Archived