MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

apple jelly question

furbabymom

I was just reading in "Putting Food By" that you can save peels and cores to make apple jelly. I just discovered today that our apples are ripe. I won't use them all at once, though, just a little at a time. Can I freeze the peels and cores as I go, until I'm ready to make jelly, or will that screw it up?

Yes, you can. Try and squeeze as much air out of the bags as you can, though, so they don't get "freezer burn".

Red apple peelings make a lovely color.

And if you get tired of plain apple, make my cinnamon jelly...

~~~~

CINNAMON JELLY

Cat

It's something you can make year-round, has a mild flavor, looks beautiful, and makes a great present.

Combine in large pan:

5 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 lb. (scant 1 cup) "red hots" cinnamon candy

3 cups water

Stirring constantly, cook until candy and sugar are dissolved and mixture just boils. Add 2 foil packets of liquid "Certo" pectin and return to a boil (still stirring). Let come to a hard boil (can't stir down) for 1/2 minute. Skim if necessary. Can as for other jellies. Makes 7 1-cup jars.

OOPS! Edited to add: You CAN make this with apple juice. Just adjust the sugar to the sweetness of the juice.

bighug

GOODMORNINGTEA.gif

Sounds good Cat. smile

I take it that you use the liquid off the apple peal instead of the water??? I've never made jelly with cinnamon candy before.

Cat, have you ever used 'Sure-Jel' when making this jelly??

I don't usually buy the 'Certo', I use 'Sure-Jel'. Of course I can get some 'Certo' though. smile

HUGS34.gif3864.gif

"Apple peeling" water or juice, both the same. wink

I've always been told to use what the recipe calls for... Certo or Sure-Jell. I should experiment and find out, but I haven't yet.

If it turned to cinnamon syrup, it would STILL be good on pancakes, ice cream, french toast, bread pudding, stewed apples, light cakes, etc.... happy02

bighug

Archived