MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fruit canning question!

Bookworm

A friend of mine wanted to know if it was okay to recan fruit, such as peaches and pears, etc., that she buys at the grocery store. If I recall correctly, it seems that someone had done this using tomato products but I wasn't sure how fruit would work.

BTW, I'm getting a bushel of apples, 3/4 bushel of peaches and 3/4 bushel of pears this weekend and I'll finally get to use my canner that I rec'd from our dear Darlene! I'll let you know how it goes! I have lots of good, knowledgeable help nearby star

You have to look at the package for ingredients. If the ingredients are simple, like fruit and fruit juice and maybe some good old fashioned sugar, you should be fine. However, if the ingredients include anything designed to thicken a syrup around the fruit, that is probably a no-no for home canning.

Regarding jam from frozen fruit: the same rules apply. Your product may be better from fresh, but as long as there aren't additives, the processing should be safe.

I agree about looking for the additives. As far as using frozen fruit, it's best to use fresh but it is possible to use frozen. I was canning peaches recently and was tossing the ones I mushed up into a ziplock bag for freezing because I wasn't going to have time to make jam with them until a few days later. They worked just fine once thawed. A friend of mine bought frozen peaches from Costco and made jam from them without problems.

And, one time I made a killing on frozen raspberries at local grocery store and made syrup from them which was just grand. Nobody could tell I used frozen.

I also make large pots of spaghetti sauce from canned tomato paste and then can the sauce I made. I haven't ever simply re-canned anything, mainly used the fruit or veggie to make something else that I canned. (Such as using commercial diced tomatoes to make salsa) (Rotating food storage makes one do these odd things, LOL)

I bought a 30 lb. box of frozen whole strawberries and made jam out of all of them and it is wonderful. I also bought a 30lb. box of sour cherries and made pie filling out of all of those and it is also wonderful. To be honest, it was also cheaper and quicker. The fruit was top quality.

Archived