MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cranberry-apple relish

HappyCamper45

from kelly's blue book:

Cranberry Apple relish yeilds 5 half pints.

4 cups cranberries, chopped

1 pound apples, peeled, cored, chopped

1 cup water

2 1/2 cups brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup chooped walnuts

Combine cranberries, apples, brown sugar and water in a large saucepot. Simmer over medium heat for 15 mintutes, stirring frequently,. Stir in the cinnamon and walnuts: cook 5 minutes. Ladle hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Blue book page 84...Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cranberry Orange Relish Recipe

Ingredients:

2 oranges

1 pound fresh cranberries

1-1/2 cups sugar

Peel the oranges, saving the rinds. Section the oranges, removing the white pith and seeds. Put the cranberries, oranges and rinds through a food grinder.

Add sugar and mix. Chill.

Cranberry Relish Recipe

Ingredients:

1 pound cranberries

4 Macintosh Apples

1 Orange (sections only) remove rind and white pith

1 cups sugar

Wash cranberries, apples and orange. Core and quarter the apple, but do not peel.

Chop the cranberries and orange. Add the sugar and mix well.

Chill for 8 hours and serve. Will keep for a week if kept cool.

Candied Cranberries

1 bag cranberries

1 egg white, lightly whipped

1 cup powdered sugar

Wash and drain the cranberries. Discard any that are soft or have

broken skins. Let dry on a paper towel.

Lightly whip the egg white and add to a large Ziplock bag. Add

the cranberries and shake lightly until well coated with the egg

white.

Add the powered sugar to another Ziplock bag. Add the cranberries

and shake to coat.

Remove from the bag and store in a tin like candy.

blueberries, or cherries or grapes, esp. those little champagne grapes would also work well.

• 4 weeks later...

HappyCamper45

I finally got around to making your relish! (How many weeks ago did I print it out?!?)

Anyway, it tastes great - I used Granny Smith apples so it is tart in a very tasty sort of way. I actually got 6 1/2pint jars out of the recipe. They are gorgeous looking and if the family gobbles it up like I think they will at Thanksgiving, then I'll be making some for Christmas presents.

Thanks HappyCamper!

P.S. Westbrook, I've had your cranberry-orange relish before. It is also quite good. My oranges are almost ripe . . . hmm, do you think I could can it?

• 2 weeks later...

Im so glad you post that you like this recipe...

I'm making some tomarrow. Hopefully Mine will come out looking as good as yours.

What did you put the relish on.

Thanks

Ok 2 batches make 6 and 1/4 pints. It killed me to add a pound of sugar but on the box it said 1 pound of brown sugar equal 2 1/4 cups, and I did double the recipe. I also measured the sugar and sure enough I got 2 1/4 cups.

cranberryapplerelish.jpg

Cranberryapple.jpg

I haven't even tasted it yet. We were all looking into the pot and saying you try it. No you try it. So Thanks Giving I will make ginny pigs out of my family.

What did I put my relish on?

I put it on a spoon and it went straight into my mouth! There were only a few mouthfuls that didn't fit into the jars (okay, maybe they could have fit but I didn't let them!) I've given away two jars as Thanksgiving gifts and we'll probably go through at least one tomorrow. Maybe more if the family goes for it. I think they will. I'm also thinking I'll put it out with the bagels and cream cheese tomorrow morning. I think it would go quite well on a bagel. Oh, I also bet it would be a beautiful and tasty holiday topping for a cheesecake. Hope you and your family enjoy it!

Ok...I opened a jar at thanksgiving and I put out bread and crackers with it. I did eat it right off the spoon. I have to say it was very good. The next time I make it, I'll use 1/2 pints, and give them away as gifts. I wasn't willing to give my pints away. rofl

Oh my!

Those jars are SOOOOOOOOO PRETTTTTTTTTYYY!

I am DEFINITELY making some this next week.

And I will do 1/2 pints to give as Christmas gifts.

Hurray! Another homemade Christmas idea!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Those jars do look so good, and like celizabetho said, another idea for home made Christmas gifts . smile

Not sure if I'll get any made, but sure do look so good. smile

HUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gifSUNDAY3.gif

Archived