MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can I please!!!!!

mom11

Can I add tomato paste to CAT's blender pizza sauce....So I can throw the stuff into the PC...I am so tired and it just doesn't want to thicken up.... I have 4 gallons of the stuff. Just peeled 75 lbs. of MORE tomatoes, already canned 13 quarts, 9 pints of marinara, have two cookie sheets full of roasted red peppers, to can into sauce, a half bushel MORE of rhubarb, and a bushel of FREE, small assorted, colored sweet peppers, to clean, deseed, chop, and freeze and I have a fever and want this all to go away...At least outta sight and into the canners!

By the way...Does anyone have a safe tomato soup recipe to can?

Yes, tomato paste won't hurt anything. wink

Nothin' on the soup recipe right now, though. Most of them are like a "base", then you add milk after opening. So any of those should be fine.

Thanks CAT!

I have 35 pints in the canners now.

Yeah...A base is fine, cuz we would want to add some cream, maybe even rice etc., when we open it. Most of the recipes I have found have butter and flour in them.

I love all your recipes! Thank You!

Thanks ArmyOfFive4God!

The ones I have found have some butter in them,also. Maybe to brown the veggies in. Is that OK? I just want the tomato soup base, and will add cream or milk, when we open the jars.

I have 16 quarts of tomatoes all peeled and ready and no where to go!

OK, this is the recipe for the soup I make with my adaptations in (*)

Cream of tomato soup (from an older BH&G cookbook)

1 1lb 12 oz can tomatoes

2 slices onion

1 bay leaf

1 t sugar

1 t salt

1/4 pepper

2 T butter (*I would sub a cooking oil, maybe a little less for this if any at all, based on the next ing.)

2 T flour (*use at your own discretion or leave out, will only provide a slightly thinner soup)

1 1/2 c milk (*this can be added when you open the jar to heat it)

Combine 1st 6 ingredients in a 2-qt saucepan. Simmer 10 mins; sieve. Melt butter; blend in flour (*see ingredient list for adaptations). Stir in milk. Cook til thickened. Slowly add to hot tomato mixture stirring constantly. Serves 6.

Keep in mind, you can leave out the roux part of this recipe, saving that for when you open the soup & prepare it! Hope this works for you!

You can add tomato paste to thicken tomato products. I have no idea what is in the sauce recipe yet to say if it is a safe recipe or not. I keep instant Clear Jel on hand. I thicken my foods with it after I open them. Especially works well with salsa.

TOMATO SOUP

Makes about 4 pints

Do not thicken with flour or other thickeners before canning. Do not add butter or any milk. You may do so after opening, if desired.

4 quarts chopped peeled tomatoes

3 1/2 cups onions

2 1/2 cups celery

2 cups chopped sweet red peppers

1 cup sliced carrots

7 bay leaves

1 Tbsp. whole cloves

1 clove garlic

1 cup brown sugar

2 tsp. canning salt

Combine all vegetables and seasonings. Cook until soft.

Press through food mill.Add sugar and salt, cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.

Ladle hot soup into hot pint jars. Leave 1 inch headspace.Process in pressure canner for 35 minutes at 11 lb. pressure dial gauge, 10 lb. weighted gauge.

Thank you for the soup recipes...I am heading to the Mennonites for more tomatoes in the AM. I am going to pick up some instant Clear Jel also. I had some last year and then read not to use if for canning, so I pitched it. I didn't realize it was useful for other things...I had never seen it before.

What would the processing time be for quarts?

Instant Clear Jel is good for things. There are recipes for instant puddings, too. I will try to remember to see if the recipes are still online for using it.

Sorry, you cannot safely go up in jar sizes if a certain size is called for. It will make the food unsafe. You can use a smaller size, but not a larger one.

Archived