MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about vacuum pack food saver thingys

JCK88

This is probably beeen asked a zillion times before...but I couldnt' find it. I am thinking of getting one of those vacuum seal food saver thingys and wondered which one folks here suggest is best. I have looked at a lot of them and can't tell why one would be more expensive than the other--- and some of them things looks scary what with all those buttons! So....which do you suggest for a person who up until now has mainly canned things using non-tech mason jars and such?

I have the Foodsaver 1050, but it appears they don't make it anymore. It's really easy to use - three settings - automatic (sucks all the air out and then seals it), manual (you decide how much air it sucks out before it seals), and the port thingy, which has a tube that hooks into it and you can use the jar sealers or the canisters.

I haven't looked at the new ones but I really like the 1050 if you can find one. Here's a link to one on ebay so you can see what it looks like - http://tinyurl.com/2jj8yw

The bags are kind of expensive, but it's worth it to me because we have some problems with freezer burn (not as much as we used to). I also use the jar sealers quite a bit because we have serious issues with pantry moths.

This is the one the one I have. I found mine for $65 at Tuesday Morning & another member here got one from there as well. It was an AWESOME deal as mine came with everything they've listed in that link as well as 3 canisters (each worth 8-12 alone!). As stated:

Quote:
Key Features of the FoodSaver 1085:

"Hands Free" Operation provides automatic vacuum packaging with a press

on the lid.

Accessory port allows vacuum packaging in FoodSaver Canisters,

FoodSaver Bottle Stoppers, and FoodSaver Universal Lids. When used with

other Foodsaver accessories, like the Foodsaver jar sealers, you can

vacuum package items in your own cans, mason jars and bottles.

Instant Seal Button to stop the vacuum packaging process and seal at any

time.

2-Level Seal Time Adjustment Switch, important for vacuum packaging

meats, chicken, fish or any type of foods that have high moisture content.

(Shorter for dry foods, longer for moist foods.)

Cancel Button to stop the vacuum process at any time.

Extended Vacuum Button allows manual evacuation of air.

Full-sized Vacuum Channel. Catches overflow liquids and fits any size

FoodSaver Bag (or FoodSaver Bags) for maximum versatility.

Included in this package are:

(1) FoodSaver V1085

(3) FoodSaver Replacement Bags – Quart size

(2) FoodSaver Replacement Bags – Gallon size

(1) FoodSaver Starter Roll – to create custom-sized bags

(1) Quick Start Guide (Manual-PDF Document )

This package Ships in a plain brown box

Technical Specifications:

-Patented Vacuum Channel catches overflowing liquids.

-Powerful Nylon Piston Pump ensures the maximum vacuum is produced.

-Teflon®-coated Sealing Strip produces a wide, strong seal.

-Color: Silver

-Dimensions: 17.25" (L) x 6.25" (D) x 4.25" (H)

I have the model V2480 and love it. The only problem I have is when I seal dry cereals. A few of the bags "leak" over time. I also use the jar sealer, it can be frustrating at times due to not all of the jars I have will form a seal. It is trial and error and then I have to rewash the jars.

wormie

John

Ok...so the brand name is Foodsaver...that's what I was trying to find out, too. I saw some of these in my local Wal-Mart. Are there other brands out there and are these things called vacuum pack food savers or is that just the brand name? And...Thanks for the info, folks, Appreciate it much.

JCK88--I have an older one and I wish I had a new one. They have improved them a lot. Mine I have to hold the button down to seal, the new ones you don't, the new ones you can stop the vacum and not crush like cereal.My model you can not do that.

thanks Thanks folks...I am certain to be asking questions again once I get one of these things, LOL

Archived