MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stretching Your Food Dollars

Stretching Your Food Dollars

If you're raising school-age grandkids, your grocery bills have probably gotten higher. Growing kids usually have larger appetites. Here are some tips for getting the most from your food dollars.

Go shopping as few times as possible. Frequent trips add to family food costs because we tend to buy extras each time.

Shop alone if possible. It's hard to say no to the children's favorite foods when they are with you.

Take advantage of free or reduced-priced school lunch programs.

Use low-cost protein foods like dry beans, eggs, peanut butter, turkey, chicken, and hamburger.

Stretch meats by using them in sauces or casseroles. Use slow cooking and marinating to tenderize less expensive cuts.

Turn leftovers into planned overs. You can sometimes get two meals for the price of one. Store cooked foods properly to make them last longer.

Use nonfat dry milk for cooking instead of whole milk. Dry milk is equally nutritious, and can be less expensive.

Shop from a list based on planned menus. Check the food advertisements for good buys. Sometimes, coupons can help you save money.

Powdered milk is not as cheap as it used to be. In our area it is nearly as expensive as whole milk. Just like Debbielee said. You can still save alot by purchasing it though. In our case there are just the two of us and I only use milk for cooking. If I buy a gallon it will go bad before I use half of it. For cooking I just make up exactly how much I need. No waste that way.

Powdered Milk is expensive anywhere, but if you are making up your own hot cocoa mixes, and baking mixes it sure saves alot on buying bisquick, jiffy mix, etc. i used it all the time on the ranch with my baking, mashed potaoes, etc. I used powdered eggs alot in my cooking so that I had the fresh milk and eggs for other things. T