MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

White Bean Soup

My DH picked up our Honeybaked Ham for Christmas, got some sides and their Josie's Classic Creations White Bean soup mix for the ham bone. I cooked the soup this afternoon and our home smells wonderful. I wish you had scratch and sniff monitors so I could send some of this hearty aroma your way.

Bottom line: this mix is pricy for 18 oz. of dried beans and some special spices. I've googled to see if I can find their recipe to no avail. Just wondered if any of the Mrs. S. readers have a duplicate white bean soup recipe. I have beans in storage but don't know how to make this delicious soup. help

Thanks in advance.

Health, happiness and prosperity to all as we prepare to ring in 2008. You ARE eating turnip greens and black eyed peas on January 1, aren't you?

I recently stumbled upon this great recipe website; it's very active and well organized; lots of detailed comments by people who've actually tried the recipes, and how they "tweaked" them too.

Did a search for you and came up with several pages of White Bean soup recipes...you may be able to find something here:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=white+bean+soup

I've never heard of that one. Where did he find it? Grocery store? Is there anything on the package to indicate how to find it... web site, distributor?? shrug

How much is it for the 18-oz mix?

If I knew what it tasted like, I might be able to figure it out. The ingredient list would help, too, though it probably says "natural flavorings and spices added". frown

M3B and Abigail, thanks so much for those recipe links. I'll spend some time there, for sure.

Cat, the bean soup mix my DH bought comes from the Honeybaked Ham store. Don't know what he paid for it but it was definitely more than a pound of dried beans and "special spices" can be purchased separately. The ingredient list is: beans, spices, salt, sugar, Dehydrated: garlic, onion, celery, parsley, carrots, bell peppers.

I've tried cooking up beans on my own without their seasoning packet and it's a pale substitute for what I've now come to think of as "the real thing."

Archived