MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Crepes and Pancakes

I was makng a giant batch of crepes, to take for the coffeebar at the foodbank, and I thought I'd share the recipe.

Make sure the pan is hot, and then wipe it with an oiled papertowel between each one...the first one or two always don't work and got to the dog. Keep the pan on the heat as much as possible as you pour in the batter and twirl the pan to spead it. Then fry til browned on the edges, flip over, and fry the other side.

We sprinkle ours with a mixture of white vanilla sugar and brown sugar, or jam, or sugar and a squeeze of lemon, or Nutella (or apple pie mix?), and then roll them or fold them up.

Sometimes we fill them with a whitesauce and leftover vegetables, meat, or fish, or cheese, and fold them up and fry them again in butter.

Or slice them into shreds and put them into a bowl and pour over hot chicken stock and top with parsley.

Or fill them with beef stew and bake.

They freeze well, or you can put unused batter into the fridge for a few days, adding a bit more water if the batter gets too thick.

This is a popular French thing to eat, and traditionally served with hard sweet cider to drink. Funnily enough, the recipe comes from a very old American, Woman's Day Snack Cookbook.

six eggs

two cups milk

two cups flour

pinch of salt

3/4 cup oil

3/4 cup water

(this time, I used powdered eggs and milk, along with more water, of course)

Mix or blend or use the magic wand, and try to let it sit for an hour or two before using. Add water if it gets too thick.

Archived