MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Breaking News !!!

mich@el

Well done report! Thanks!

RE: Additional Tips Learned

1. I noticed ants carrying their larva up the outside walls of my house prior to any official notice of severe flooding. Even though I knew about this type of behavior I never really took much notice. Note to self: Be more aware of nature’s warnings!!

This little known prep skill of observing nature has been proven valuable time and time again...

Animals and insects will usually signal impending tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados and hurricanes. Be especially alert to any unusual behavior. Zoos often report unusual behavior was noted before natural disasters.

2. As the land around town began to disappear under water, Snakes, Snakes, and more Snakes began to be seen on any and all dry land. This was another challenge that I had not factored into a flood scenario. Note to self: Boots and gators instead of thongs will now be SOP for floods.

Watch out for ant balls floating in floodwaters, too. Those are huge masses of ants clinging to each other to keep from drowning in a flood. If you accidentally touch an ant ball, they'll immediately cover you before you can shake them off... In the southern United States, there is a species of ant called the Fire Ant. Hurricane Katrina H ell saw more than a few Fire Ant balls floating in the floodwaters. Just one Fire Ant bite is a painful burning scorcher...bites from a large fire ant ball can be absolute agony, and possibly even kill.

3. Polar fleece blankets take up much less room than other types and when used in addition to a “foil” survival blanket are quite warm. Note to self: Roll a survival blanket up with each polar fleece blanket like a sleeping bag and secure with a long zip tie.

4. Favorite toys. Note to self: Have a lifeline made out of a long boot lace to secure “teddy” to its owner so no losses occur in the dark.

Yes, to this great idea!!! Studies show that children who survive disasters suffer less stress if they have a pet or a toy to 'take care of' during the crisis.

4. Just make sure to remove the leash on Teddy before putting the little ones to bed. Wouldn't want one to get the leash wrapped around their neck!

And yes, Fire Ants are nasty! Solenopsis Invicta. YUCK!

Mich@el, I'm so glad you and yours were all safe.

A few personal observations about your "final report"

congratulations on sitting down with yourself and taking this as a learning experience and making plans on how to do better than last time; so many people don't bother.

I hear you on the uncooperative kids, especially the teenagers. Like you, I would have thought that mine would have risen to the challenge during an emergency; but they made things soooo much more difficult.

I don't in any way fault your parenting for that; it appears that in many cases their immaturity is to blame. Adults often behave in ways "out of character" under extreme stress; why do we expect our immature children to be any different??

Now, I'll tell you this, Hurricane Katrina caught their attention big-time. The same son who'd gone down to the French Quarter with friends in the approach of Katrina (yes, I attended "hurricane parties" in my youth too) is now the one glued to the weather channel and asking me about supplies, gasoline, and cash. He admitted later that he had no idea how bad these storms could be. Experience really IS the best teacher. Perhaps your kids will do better next time.

About listening to the authorities. That's a harder one. In your case, the authorities gave you bad advice. Yikes!! Perhaps do some advance planning on identifying better "experts" next time? Look to multiple sources of news when making your decsion to evac or not? But to ignore official advice...

I'm sure you, along with the rest of the planet, observed what happened in New Orleans to people who DID NOT heed evacuation orders...

I do think you're on the right track with making a list of good planning and poor choices. Keep thinking and adding to that; even the little things can make a big difference.

You mention gasoline. In advance of hurricanes here, everyone goes to the pumps...all at the same time. As you've observed, there isn't enough to go around.

So I've learned to keep several filled and stabilized gasoline cans during hurricane season. At least enough to fill my tank. At least purchase several of the cans in advance; they weren't available anywhere in the region after Katrina. Without them, you can't safely store extra. This is a cheap and easy prep; I highly recommend it.

Oh...I felt right at home looking at those pictures; have seen scenes like that many times.

You are dealing with yourself as a smarter, more wiser prepper as of today. Good dry...'wet'..run on your emergency.

Now comes the hard work. Putting it back together so it will 'flow' as you want it to.....next time.

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

THANKSFORSHARING1.gif all of this with us.

You had everything in order and did the right things. smile We all learn by experience.

How are things now?

Hope you are safe and able to update us soon.

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpg

Archived