MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wild edibles

Alright, I'm gonna follow Mich@el . I'm looking for recipies for wild edible plants.

So far I have found this short (very short) list of edible "weeds"

I have , here some where a hand written book of recipies that I have tried. Cant seem to locate it right now, so this is where we start!!

http://mtmt.essortment.com/ediblewildplan_repo.htm

Lets see if we can get some recipies and ideas from all over the world.

Don't forget Polksalad. It is a strong green like collards. If you catch them young they are not as strong. Cook them with a little sugar and some ham bones and they are edible. Not my favorite had rather have the collards but I am sure that if I was hungry I wouldn't have a problem eating them

polk.jpg

Best way to tell if they are young and tender is by the height and the stem. As they get older they get taller and have a dark maroon colored stalk. Best time to eat them is when it is a light red and about ankle high.

Dandelion Saute

This is one of the best ways to learn to appreciate the

flavor of fresh dandelions.

3 C chopped onions

3 tblsp olive oil

4 C , washed chopped young dandelion leaves

2 C grated, wild or commercial carrots

several cloves minced garlic

1 tblsp red wine

1 tblsp soy sauce pepper to taste

Saute the onions in olive oil. When soft,

add the remainder of the ingredients and cook

10 to 20 minutes until flavors blend

serves 4 to 6

To keep greens "young" longer , cover the plant with a pail. This can be done with any greens that get tough or bitter as they get bigger.

Please be very cautious of older poke plants as all parts of the plant can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea as it's very toxic. Use only very young shoots as MT3 points out. Also, be sure to identify it carefully it has a few lookalikes.

I like lambs quarter (chenopodium album) cooked just like spinach. It's mild, fairly easy to digest and can be substituted for spinach in almost every dish. Saute it with onions in a little butter untll tender. Simple, and delicious.

((( )))

THE WILD WOK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saute a little onion or ramp in oil. Add one or more wild vegetables,

Daylily, buds, blossoms, shoots, or tubers

Cattail, shoots

Bamboo, shoots

Purslane, leaves and stems

Jerusalem artichoke, sliced tubers

Sorrel, leaves

Violet, leaves or blossoms

Season with soy sauce and a little ginger (wild or tame). Serve at once.

Daylily is an important vegetable in the Orient. The fresh blossoms or day old flowers add both flavor and thickening. The flowers may be dried for later use. Use these in soups and stews as well as in your wild wok.

• 2 months later...

i never grow greens, just pick the wild stuff. nettle soup is awsome (made up like cream of spinach soup) and nettles are quite healthy. they lose sting once cooked. pick tops of older ones and cook like any greens. problem here though is no nettles! also make sure your weed picking patch is NOT sprayed and be sure you can ID your pickings properly. the north american guide to edible wild plants is good primer, and lists many plants and their uses. photos help with the id and they warn about look alikes, if any.

Archived