MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chayote

I just got some Chayote -- which is apparently a squash, though it looks a little like a wrinkled pear.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for the stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

If it is wrinkled it is probably past prime for eating. Got room to grow a squash? You can plant it and the shoots and leaves and roots are good to eat. The squash can be used in any squash dish and you can fry up the single seed like french fries. You have to plant the whole squash tho. It doesn't do real well to just plant the seed.

ALLIGATOR PEARS!!!!!

That's what we call 'em in South Louisiana...at least they do in New Orleans and its environs. Some people call them 'mirletons' or 'mellytons'. We stuff them with all kinds of goodies, same as for stuffing bell peppers.

The taste is very mild, and will adapt well to just about any flavor you give it, whether by stuffing or seasonings.

The tropical vines are beautiful and grow very long, for nearly forever, it seems. It requires a very long growing season.

I bought three of them at a grocery near here and will plant them indoors in pots to get a head start on the growing season...Where I live now, it may not grow enough to flower and fruit before next fall's frost, which comes earlier in these mountians than it did 'back home', but at least I'll get to enjoy seeing the beautiful vines grow...

I didn't know you could eat the leaves!

Archived