I make muffins. I like muffins. There is a new recipe that

I'm going to try and it calls for half-n-half. I never buy

half-n-half!

I have buttermilk.

I used buttermilk in pancakes and it didn't make any kind of

difference.

So.....can I use buttermilk? shrug

We need a cooking icon! smile :kettle:

I'm sure you can, but I would think there will be a different taste. Muffins tend to be sweet. Buttermilk has that twang to it.

But give it a shot and see how it turns out. Even if it doesn't make them superior, I really doubt that using buttermilk would ruin muffins.

Recipes that use buttermilk also usually use baking powder to make them rise. Don't know what your muffin recipe uses as a levener.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe

Recipes that use buttermilk also usually use baking powder to make them rise. Don't know what your muffin recipe uses as a leavener.

The muffins that I made yesterday used baking soda.

Hey......buttermilk users....I need help

I'm with Fritz on this one. I think the only difference is going to be that twang. What other flavor is the muffin...blueberry, chocolate chip, etc? Would it benefit from the twang? Blueberry lemon would probably taste ok, but chocolate...I wouldn't go there. Be adventurous. Try it and let us know.

If the recipe has baking powder, cut that to about half and add some baking soda (probably about half a teaspoon). If you want them sweet, increase the sugar. They won't be exactly the same as if you'd made them with half and half, but they are what they are - their own thing. They'll be good.

Archived