MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about growing calendula

bluegrassmom

I'm going to be growing calendula from seed this year. I'm not sure when to start my seeds. The rule of thumb where I live is to not plant outside until after Mother's Day as we generally have some late frosts.

Should I start my seeds inside and then move the seedlings to the raised beds outside at planting time? Or should I simply plant the seeds in the beds when everything else will get put in after Mother's Day?

I often start seeds indoors as a way of getting a jump start on the growing season. I always feel like when they are just starting, they have a better chance of survival if I am there babying them. smile Plus, I just like playing in the dirt! You can do it either way and probably have success.

You can do them either way. They get a bit of a start if you start them inside. Mine generally self sew if you leave enough flowers on them but it seems they are always really late coming up and flowering. I usually save back some seeds in the fall and start a few inside to have a jump on flowering.

((( )))

Be aware that calendula can spread like a weed. Althouh maybe it depends on your area. I planted one plant several years ago in a small section of my front yard and now I get hundreds of little plants coming up in the spring 20-30 feet from where I planted the first one. I have to work hard to keep them in one area..

Are you planning to plant the whole bed into calendula? Unless you like the looks of it you won't need nearly that much for medicinal purposes. If the flowers are picked regularly they will keep producing for a long time. I try to keep my patch at about three by three feet or a bit more and get plenty from them for all my medicinal needs. I may let it spread a bit further this year though as I have a few more using them. Ten or twelve plants will cover that area I believe.

Good luck with it. Calendula is one of my favorite herbs.

((( )))

Archived