MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dobermans

The MacKinnon

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought asking about this on the porch, with a cup of hot tea in hand, would be ok...

DH's big dog, Baxter, is becoming an elderly dog. When he goes to the Rainbow Bridge, and after we get our house built, we'd like to get a Doberman puppy (female, black & tan). I love Dobes and DH grew up with them.

So if y'all know of any Dobe breeders in the area around the GA-AL-TN border (we're 50 nw of Chattanooga and 50 n or Huntsville AL) please let us know. We'd like to get to know a few well before we're ready to 'adopt' her.

thanks

We got a lovely one year old female Rottweiler through a rescue society. She is 5 now, laying beside me as I type.

There are a lot of young big dogs out there, given up because their family doesn't know how to train them, can't find time for them or just don't understand that you don't get a calm well behaved dog until they are well over two years old!

Though it isn't politically correct to suggest it, getting a puppy through a good reputable breeder is a very good idea. While one might end up with a wonder dog through rescue, one might also end up with a dog with ... issues. Not all breeders are puppy mills. There are some awesome breeders out there who only breed dogs with good hips, clear eyes, and good dispositions. I'm not in your area, but you can find someone if you look around.

I think the rescue groups are great. Since I've been in TN (going on 3 years now) I've rescued 3 mutts, one of whom (Wallace) died about 60 hours after I got him (massive internal failure). Another, Boone, I got from the local country animal shelter and Mosby wandered up one cold Jan day 2 years ago looking for all the world like a turkey carcass! We nursed him through starvation, stomach worms and heartworms and he repaid us by protecting us last summer from a 3 ft Copperhead slithering up our front porch steps! DH rescued a Pyrenees/Coonhound mix about 8 years ago in OK. That doesn't count the other 2 cats and dogs in TX!

I've only had 1 puppy that I raised from the litter and I'd really like to do that one more time, which is why I'm looking for a reputable breeder.

But I know exactly what y'all mean about rescued dogs!

Archived