MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Help With My Canner

Centexan

I have a new American Canner. Today is just the third time I have canned with it. I have used a Presto canner for many years with no trouble with the lid, but am having a "real bummer" with this new canner. I know part of my problem with getting the lid off the first two times was that I let the canner cool all the way before I removed the weight (creating a vacuum). But, this time, I watched that sucker like a hawk until it got to zero and removed the weight.....but still, I am unable to slide the lid around to disengage the locks which slide under the screwdowns. I have another canner load of chili to do, it's too late to call the company with my question and I NEED HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!

I have that happen too...I have 4 AA's...

If you put a light coat of vaseline where the metal to metal seal, that should help. Other than that, i just take a butter knife and 'pop' the seal when it won't come off by itself, but hopefully the vaseline will help.

Let me know if that doesn't help.

Mine sticks sometimes, too. I use my mutlipurpose tool to wedge it open (very gently so I don't gouge the metal-have an AA canner). I seem to do better when I take the lid off as soon as the pressure comes down to zero; but sometimes I get sidetracked and it's later (and it harder to open).

Mine sticks, too. I even bent the lid handle trying to get the lid off! rollingeyes

I keep a flat blade screw driver in the kitchen, just for popping up the lid of the canner.

This is what the instruction manual recommends:

Originally Posted By: Instruction Manual
Removing a "Stuck" Cover (due to a vacuum) In the event that a vacuum forms, use a large standard screwdriver to pry the top loose. Place the end of the screwdriver at an angle between the cover and bottom near a wing nut assembly. Do not go straight in with the screwdriver or you will damage the metal-to-metal seal. Gently pry upward using the screwdriver as a lever. Continue to pry upward at each wing nut assembly area uniformly so that the cover is raised evenly. In most cases, the cover should come off rather quickly. If you need further assistance, please call the factory.

I've only had to pry in one spot, not all the way around the lid, when the lid would pop loose.

I've read the instruction manual frontwards and backwards hoping to find the secret to easier removal! Do y'alls American Canner have the three little brackets (locks)... which slide under the wing nut mount plate when you rotate the lid to line up the arrows on the lid & bottom? I have even unscrewed and removed the brackets...which made the lid very easy to remove. Of course, I replaced them before I did the next canning....but that shouldn't be necessary. Hummmmm, maybe I should write the company because such a fine canner shouldn't be such a pain.

Hi! Darlene - Oh, I didn't remove the L-brackets until the dial had gone to Zero pressure and the weight had been removed...in fact, the canner was cool. I would never operate the canner without the safety features intact. Pogo, I did do all the vaseline and screwdriver stuff from the beginning. Guess I had better stop grumping and griping and get on with things. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Archived