MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I Went Flu Shopping

Jeepers

For some reason the flu has been on my mind a lot lately. So this week I went shopping with a flu patient in mind. I already have flu type meds in my med area so I didn't need that. I live alone so it would probably be only me or my son.

I was going to buy pads on line because they are cheaper but after reading some of the opinions about them being very thin, I decided to buy them at the local drug store. They were a little more expensive but they were a better quality and I saved on shipping. I wanted some in case of a small accident in the bed or on a pillow. They can be thrown away and it would save on laundry. I figured I'd use them only on really bad days.

I bought a small container that is meant for pet food. I'm going to store all of the stuff I bought in it. Plus, it has a hinged lid so it can be used for a sick room trash can.

I spent about $60.00 for the whole lot below.

40 disposable bed/pillow pads

30 masks

100 disposable gloves

2 bottles hand sanitizer

1 thermometor

1 bottle of alcohol

1 box of tissues

1 S.Steel bowl for wash basin

1 box handy wipes

1 dog food container w/hinged lid

I don't know about the pillow covers, Granny. I bought the large heavy duty pads from Walgreens. They are like the blue "chux" pads used in hospitals after someone has surgery. You can lay them on a bed or on a pillow. They are in the aisle where the adult diapers etc. are.

I added an emesis basin (barf pan) to my container. I had one from the last trip to the hospital. It is a plastic one and I'd rather have a S.S. one but this will do until I can find a better one.

Something else I thought of is a baby bottle. I know this is nuts but I'm going to get one of those with the disposable liners. I think they are called drop-ins. I figure if someone is very sick and weak, then they could get sips from a bottle without sitting up. The drop-in type of bottle is not dependent on gravity so they don't have to be held upright. I like the idea of throw away liners too. I don't know if anyone adult would actually use it but I figure in an emergency, it would be a good way to get some Gatorade into someone without choking them.

Around here, we use buckets for emesis basins! My menfolk turn into the biggest babies with the lousiest aim when sick! Another good idea - the baby bottle. I saved one from when the grandson was a baby, in case we needed an emergency bottle for a baby. I just checked it and the nipple is as hard as stone. Are there any brands that would stay pliable for a long time?

Just a thought regarding a babybottle they are Really hard to drink from it takes a ton of energy to suck from a baby bottle. An idea might be getting either a sippy cup or a travel sippy cup. You can get ones like this http://store.babycenter.com/product/bottle...llStagesHP_Hero I have even gotten ones like this at the dollar store. Or maybe a stainless steal sippy cup like this http://www.kleankanteen.com/2products/klea...nteen-12oz.html

Just an idea smile

Good idea Gibbs! I wouldn't want it to come out too fast though because of choaking issues. Also with a cup it would have to be tipped up. The bottles with liners can be laid pretty flat. As the liquid inside the liner is sucked out, it collapses the liner and forces the liquid to stay at the top of the bottle. At least that is what my friend told me. I figured I could make the hole in the nipple bigger if sucking was a problem.

It wouldn't hurt to have a sippy cup too! It would be good for keeping the bed clean and dry from spilling accidents.

thanks

Instead of babys bottles why not use a sports bottle, there are some with lids that are anti spill they require you to suck on them to get the liquids, plus the bottles have rigids in them making them easier to hold.

Have used them many times when my daughter is sick, or when it has been very hot and we have taken them up to bed, if they get knocked over they dont spill everywhere [and you dont wake up thinking you have wet the bed]. ewww

I never thought about those. I'm sure they would be easier to use than a bottle psychologically. Do you mean the ones where you pull up on the spout to open and push down to close? Yeah, I can see that working. Thanks!

Yes they are the ones I had in mind, If you buy smaller bottles of water, most have them caps, I have saved some of these just for sick room emergencies after the crissis they will be disposed of, that way I dont have to worry about transfering infections to someone else.

Sometimes when we have been out shopping and I have forgotten to take water with us, and had to buy a couple of bottles, when the bottle was empty I have kept the sports top and disposed of the bottle, when we have got home I have washed the top out dryed it and placed into a clean plastic bag as these tops will fit most small pop bottles. They come in usefull when small children visit instead of a cup I give them these, it saves on spills.

Archived