MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ok Ladies and Gents i need help on a canning question

pauline

Do you think it would be ok to can the following recipe or would it be better to freeze it my mind is not working well today .

Cheesy chicken soup

chicken

potatoes

bellpeppers

chicken broth

celery

onoin

and a block of velveeta cheese

the cheese is what is making me ask the question as i am not sure how it would react to freezing or canning

It is not recommended to can cheese and milk products. I suggest that you can the soup without it and then you add the cheese when you heat it up later.

fudge that is what i was afraid of and it is leftover soup that is all put together already just kept thinking that there was a reason i should not do it but could not think of what it was

Pauline, your soup sounds good! I would can it without the cheese, and add cheese when warming it up for use. smile

The other day my husband told me I should can the bacon cheeseburger soup I had made. He was so disappointed when I told him it's unsafe to can bacon and cheese.

I think I'll can some without those ingredients, adding them later when I open them up for use.

jewlz as far as specific amounts no can do but will give you rough amounts as far as what i use to make it for my family of 6 and have enough leftover for lunch usually -k-

chicken 1or 2 bags of frozen breasts (repacked from cases into ziploc type bags)

3 or 4 potatoes or dried about 3 handfuls from can

2 bell peppers 1 red 1 green or a handful of dried peppers from can

2 stalks or so of celery or a small handfull of dried celery from can

onion 1 large one or about 2 handfuls of dried onion pieces

chicken broth is a box if needed or just adding some boullion into the water i boiled the chicken in depending on how scummy it looks

block of velveeta is the big block i have used storebrand as well with good results just cube either one up and add slowly or you will have lumps keep stirring it until warmed through and enjoy with warm rolls or a crusty bread (multigrain type)

hopefully that makes sense to you all if not i will try to get more exact amounts. smile

just make your soup as usual with out the cheese. Store Campbell's cheese soup (or other brand) to add to it later on when you can't get cheese.

I have made sure that I have stored cheese soup, nacho cheese, jarred cheese for use later.

Archived