MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Today's work...

SDBookMom

I don't know where you put things yet, so hoping this is okay. It is 44 outside, windy and cloudy. The children and I, well, mostly I, decided that it was the perfect day to unload the landscape bricks I picked up at an auction on Saturday. laugh

I want to make a kitchen garden, but the ground in that area is fill dirt covered with weeds, it's what we like to refer to as the "lawn". I am tremendously blessed with a 6 foot high by 18 foot long pile of barn waste, a large pile of compost and dirt. I was given a trailer of wood that once called itself a deck. It is almost gone but still has some beams for the back of my project.

The neighbor sells landscape fabric and had a roll of sample ends that he was tossing.

We made two beds, one L shaped bed - 15 feet long to the corner, then 25 feet long the other direction and 3 foot wide. This will be the herb garden part. Then there is a 3x20 for garden next to the foundation for the salad garden. The frame for the beds is the old beans in the back & a two high stack of landscape bricks in front. (The beams weren't nice or I would have used them in front.)

We were moving right along, got the beds made and were ready to start filling when the first flakes hit and I had a mutiny on my hands, even a cup of hot chocolate couldn't convince them that hauling manure to fill my beds was anywhere close to a good idea. Two of my dds took off for the neighbors, one disappeared to read and the youngest two are watching TV. eek OK, it isn't that bad, it is The Incredible Journey. It was either that or let my dd talk me into dressing for the coronation ball. She is being crowned Princess of the World by her proclamation and planning the coronation. She has tickets I need to buy, my clothing picked out (two outfits, one for the coronation & one for the ball) and wants to do my makeup. She asked for my approval on her costume and wonders when I am getting her a crown. Suddenly TV seemed like such great option. Her other option (yes, she gave me options) is for us to play hospital & I be the patient while she checks & cleans my ears. Have you ever been mostly asleep & had a 5 yo stick a Q-Tip in your ear to clean it out? ewww Right now I love TV.

I took pictures of the unfinished beds, but know they take up bandwidth, so won't post.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

p.s. I SHOULD be cleaning something. Posting is more fun.

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

It sounds like you will have such a nice garden. smile

Today we have 17º right now and our high is to be only 45º today. But, it will be warm enough to get rid of more snow. Then they tell me we are to get another big bunch on Thursday and Friday. I hope not, as Old Pine is to be at the hospital for tests on Friday. I don't drive in snow, never, anymore.

Oh about pictures, as long as you resize them so they are small, we can and do a lot of posting of pictures. smile

DCP_2913.jpg

This was yesterday and now those are nice and clean, not a drop of snow on them. smile I think the snow went down a good 4 - 6 inches with the nice temp yesterday. Here is where the van was until my nephew came to clean out the drive way. smile Just hope I have resized it. smile

DCP_2920.jpg

I have some dishes to do and some laundry to do too. I need to work some on my web pages again too. smile

Well, you all HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifHUGS3-2.gif

Here is a resized picture of the herb garden bed. It shows the corner. I plan to put a lilac bush in the corner, Medicinal herbs on one side and cooking herbs on the other. There is one more bed along the foundation of the house for a salad garden.

garden2.jpg

Today it is covered in an inch of snow. More snow is expected over the next two days.

I am not sure what is going on. I resized the photo on photobucket, and it shows up smaller there. I will remove it here until I can figure it out.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

SDbookMom I don't think the picture worked. smile

Snowmom, what kind of site do you have? I will be photo and site editing all day today, trying to get myonline store opened up. I am already selling things, so I need to hurry! I was having trouble with my camera, the viewfinder quit working all together and I have been unable to find the proof of purchase so that I could take it in for repairs. However, yesterday evening the darn thing decided to start working again! I was mad irritated and happy all at the same time! lol So I have been taking pictures like mad getting things ready to put up on the site.

Those of you who have signed up for the newsletter, expect one soon! lol

I will post thelink as soon as I have content.

Blessings!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

You are going to have a nice space for your garden, SDBookMom. smile The picture turned out great. smile

I am working on a genealogy site, to add to the one or replace part of the one I have now.

Would you all like to see what I have been doing??? smile If you would, just let me know and I'll post the url for it. smile

It is cloudy today, but it is 31º now and we are to get up to 50º today. Then tomorrow and Friday we are to get another big bunch of snow, or that is what they are saying. frown

I have some dishes to do again today, for some reason, they just don't do themselves. winksmile

Not sure what else I'll get done though.

Don't forget, there is a White Elephant Exchange going on in the Homemade Memories Forum. You can sign up until next Tuesday. smile So, if you want to join, be sure and sign up. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifHUGS3-2.gif

I would love to see your geneology page. B.C. I did our family tree. I traced everyone back to when they came to America or the line became native american and there were no longer records. I have one grandfather to go, he was a scoundrel and we are pretty sure he did not use his own name and had several wives under different names in several towns, but that is going to have to wait until after the kids are bigger.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

I just spent two days down because of my monthly headache. Before that

we spent the weekend running. My house now looks like a cyclone hit! I can't stand it so we are taking the day off from school and cleaning. Top to bottom until it is done. Then we are going to work on the garden some more provided the rain holds off. If you see me online tell me to go get busy.

Anyone else cleaning today? We could work as a team.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

I really like the idea of putting in a herb garden. The weather in MN is not cooperating. We are soppose to get some more snow tomorrow and Friday. Does anybody know what knid of herbs I should start with.Or when I can plant them here.

Trish

Now don't take my word for it as I am just starting out. grin BUT I got the kitchen Herb Garden package and the Medicinal Herb Package from Heirloom Seeds - Herb page .

The packages are at the very bottom of the page. They come with instruction on when & h ow to plant. My plan is to try starting with seed, if that doesn't work, I have time to go to the local nursery for plants. smile

Joyfully,

Cheryl

GOODMORNINGBEARINBLUE.gif

Well, today is Thursday and we could be getting more snow today, and for sure tomorrow. I'm not a happy camper about that as Old Pine has some test to have done at the hospital tomorrow and I don't drive in the snow. frown So, will have to see if the neighbor will go with us. smile

I wouldn't plant anything outside until at least the end of May, as we have had hard frosts yet in May. As for what to plant, that is up to you and what you use. smile But, if you have room in your home, you could start many different things inside. smile Tomatoes, cabbage, such and I suppose you could start some of the herbs too.

It is cloudy this morning, and it is 33º according to the Weather Bug with our high to reach only 45º today.

I will make a post in the Family Tree with the site I am trying to do and also I have a site that I put on line in 1999, with the help of my niece.

In time, I am in hopes to add the one to the other. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifHUGS3-2.gif

Well, you all

Good morning everyone. Snowmom I'm not too happy about the upcoming storm either but I could sure use a nice thunderstorm to clean everything up. I was thinking about starting out small maybe some basil or thyme in my kitchen window, and then bring it outside. I learned my lesson last year the weather was really nice and I planted my tomatoes too early and lost them all, this year it will definitely be the end of May.

Ah sorry about the snow I think we sent it. We got 13 inches out of that storm a few days ago. busted SD that looks like great work on the gardens yahoo. We had to go buy hay again today and mama yak seems to be limping this afternoon but wasnt this morning. frown Hopefully she didnt hurt herself to badly and will heal quickly as we are selling them.

Archived