MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A little help please folks!

Hawthorn

I just ordered an AA pressure canner, which should be with me in a few weeks.

Now, I have the hunt for a supplier of jars in the uk.

What am I looking for exactly? what's going to be suitable for pressure canning?

Will ordinary jam jars with the twist lids be suitable, or are they only ok for hot water canning?

Thanks,

Amanda x

Here in the states, we use the following brands that are manufacturered by Jarden Home Brands: Kerr, Ball and Golden Harvest canning jars.

I'm not sure what type of jars they use over in Europe, unless y'all use the same. I know that Bernardin is also another brand of canning jars.

I wouldn't use any glass jars that are not specifically home canning jars because they are not built to stand up to the pressure and heat that is involved in canning in our pressure canners. I did a search on google.co.uk to see what home canning jars would bring up:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=hom...ning+jars&meta=

hello Amanda! there is no such think as 'a little help' here! you are gonna get lots of help!

this company is based in france.. contact them to find a dealer in your area..

http://www.luminarc.us/index.php in the search engine put in 'canning jars' then click on the links

Canning is practically unheard of here in the UK. I'd never come across it until the last year or so. Preserving by making jam or pickles, yes.

I've had to import a pressure canner from over there LOL. Looks like I may have to do the same with the jars! They look a lot cheaper over there, even when you factor in postage, to be honest.

All I can find over here, is normal screw top jam jars, or the expensive Kilner jars (with the screw lid and seal). I don't think I would trust the ordinary jam jars,.

Thanks!

Maybe it is time you became an importer of canning jars! order a pallet! I am sure ball mason would mix and match for you.

rumor has it Lehman's will ship to you with some paperwork involved.. read this persons blog.. perhaps you could contact them and talk to them about it.

http://downshiftingpath.blogspot.com/2007/...ing-apples.html

Oh rats, all I can find in the uk is six 1ltr jars for £18 (about $36) That's so steep, and that's the mason ball ones! The leifheit ones are about $50 for six!

I'll have a look at that blog, thanks Westbrook.

There may just be a niche in the market for importing them actually, but the taxes are probably what puts the price up grrrr.

Ah, hold that thought. I found some with the two piece lids and they are very reasonable laugh HALF the price of the previously mentioned ones. Phew laugh

Another quick question for you good folks please. Are these type suitable for pressure canning or would you not advise it?

http://www.jbconline.co.uk/index.php?main_...=index&cPath=14

I've been talking with a friend and they can get a good deal on these if we bought in bulk (in the 500 region, they're a quid each) but obviously I don't want to invest that cash if they're going to be no good for the pressure canner.

Hawthorn, I can't say for certain. Here we can buy some jars like that, but they are expensive. As far as I have been told we are only to rely on them for water bath canning.

We used to have similar jars years ago, but now we use them for just dry storage in the pantry. They are not recommended for home canning.

I would email the company and ask them about the jars. It is hard to give a good opinion since things are so different here than there in the types and availability of home canning jars, etc.

We use a 2 piece lid and ring system on our jars. They are threaded.

http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_bl-62000_...-mason-jars.htm

We don't reuse the lids or jars that things came from in them from the markets. Well, I guess a few people do, but it is not recommended.

Also, the rings are taken off after the jars seal and cool. You wash them, dry well, store, and you keep reusing them,too. You just have to buy a new sealing lid for the jars each time you preserve something. If you order them, be sure to get a bunch of extra lids.

Yeh, for real ! That is what we pay for a dozen.

I also got a good deal on Ebay on some lids someone was selling. Just another idea on how to get more sealing lids for your jars.

Maybe someone there has a bargain, you never know.

Oh. My. Word. I just went to order, the ball blue book of preserving, a canning accessories pack (tongs and the like) and two sets each of different sized jars (six packs in total)

Shipping price? $538 !!!!!!!!!!!! HOW much??? I could come over there and bring them back myself for cheaper LOL. And that's without the taxes that they'd get hit with. I'm in shock!

Archived