MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rice Storage

Aint2nuts

I have heard of many ways to store rice. In the bag on a shelf. In a 5 gallon container with either dry ice or mylar bags or vacuum packing.

What about packing them in jars? Not cooked, raw.

What/how do I need to pack them =-= pour it in, cap it, then what? I would want the jars to seal, and I am thinking about storing 40 lbs of it this way. Should I do it less expensively? (As in buy a 5 gallon container and do the dry ice?_

Thing is, it will take my family almost exactly a year to eat 40 pounds of rice at our current rate of consumption. If we up our consumption of rice for some reason, it might still be 6 months. I already have 3 months of rice in cans. I don't want to do the seal-it-yourself canned route.

I want to be able to have the rice in single use cannisters, so I think pint or quart jars would work best.

Any input?

How do I seal dry pack cans?

Well, don't know if this will work for all but since you live in a dry climate, this should work (it's the way I've stored surplus rice for years and I've only had bugs once in the past 20+ years and it was only in one bag)

I buy the gallon size heavy freezer ziploc bags. I throw in a few bay leaves, fill the bag up with rice, and then suck as much air as I can out of the bag with a straw. Then, I take that bag, throw in a few bay leaves and put the sealed bag inside of that, once again sucking out as much air as possible. Then, wherever I am storing my bags of rice (I also do this with pasta and beans)I make sure there are lots of cedar balls, additional bay leaves, and a few sprigs of wormwood. I also have begun putting a pantry moth trap in my cupboards where drygoods are stored. This method has worked great for me and the bags fit easily into under-the-bed type storage totes. I just filled one up with sealed bags of pinto beans (I used the above method) and was able to get 60 lbs. of beans in one tote.

It's economical and I can buy all of the supplies locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I am still trying to figure this out. I have some jars, just not enough yet for 40 pounds of rice. I have 24 quart jars, and about 36 pint jars. If I want them to seal, do I put a o2 absorber in each jar? I haven't ordered those yet because I wasn't sure if I needed that much or how much I needed.

I like to vacuum pack dry goods in mason jars. Either with a food saver, or one of the cheaper punp ones (Punp and Seal I think is name?). Either way, relatively simple and cheap. Can do it this way, or O2 absorber way. Either way, follow general food storage rules. Remove oxygen, block light, minimize airflow. So either seal in avcuum, or use O2 absorber, then put the jars back in the box or somewhere els eout of light.

I have a food saver, (Tilia) but I don't have the pump part anymore, it got lost in one move or another. Wonder if I can buy another pump for it?

Archived