MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

question on pectin

Suz

(long suffering sigh)

I bought 1.11 lbs of "fruit pectin" at the Amish bulk store for 3.77. Price wise that seemed like a great deal as the boxes are only 1.75 oz each

Do I use this as regular pectin and use the full sugar amount called for? My kitchen scale isnt accurate to measure 1.75 oz, any guesses on how many teaspoons?

(I know Duh, didnt you ask the shop keeper? No, I was to embarrassed LOL)

It depends upon what kind of pectin you got. There is regular pectin which has to have sugar to gel. The other is a low methoxyl pectin that uses calcium to gel. That kind can be used for low sugar or no sugar jams

I would try using it like regular pectin and see. I can look later to see how many T. it takes per box.

The cooked jams without added pectin take a long time to cook. Some fruits work well, depending upon the natural pectin content. You use part ripe and part less ripe fruit.

Some folks like it done this way. It has a more cooked taste. Plus, you don't get as much yield from your fruit.

I like commercial pectin. I use Pomona's Universal. It can be used for any kind of jam or jelly. It is ordered online from them or in health food stores.

Pomona's will last forever. Other brands have a date on them. They do expire and won't gel.

Here is some info for you :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html

Dee, that sounds right for the pectin.

Good luck on your marmalade, Suz. I love marmalade !

If your marmalade doesn't gel for some reason, it still makes a great glaze for meats, dipping sauce, or pancake topping !!

I do that when things don't gel, I relabel as syrup and no one but me knows, LOL !

Archived