MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Marmalade Help *semi urgent*

Suz

I have another pot of chopped up citrus waiting to be cooked. Problem is last 3 batches are sickly sweet when I follow the blue book recipe of 1 cup sugar to 1 cup fruit

Can I half the sugar and just cook it down longer?

How about adding a wee bit of powdered pectin (don't have liquid on hand)

Do I have to follow some sort of magic ratio of lemon to other fruits? I still have 1/2 a case of oranges, 1/4 case of grapefruit and a bag of lemons to use (sigh)

If I use a huge pot, can I double the batch using the theory that the bigger pot gives it more surface to cook?

Thanks in advance and if you want some oranges give a holler LOL

It is the sugar/fruit/pectin/acid ratio that gives a gel. If you cut down it most likely won't gel. If you double a recipe it won't gel, either.

I would get some low sugar pectin.

This is why I use Pomona's Universal pectin. It takes calcium to get a gel with it. You don't need any sugar at all added. Order it online or in some health food stores.

Regular cooked fruit spreads are really sweet.

LMAO oh that tickled me this morning!

Yeah I had it on bread and I had it as candy last night. Sat up reading a trashy bodice ripper and ate it out of the jar, (glances at the jar still sitting next to couch)

I have 30 jars of the stuff now, and still have tons of fruit left. This is for the birds, next year SLAP me silly if I mention buying a case.....

Archived