MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Shopping list / Wish list

Dee62

Over the weekend I saw my cousin again and we got into a much more in depth discussion about preps etc.I mentioned that I have a lot of trouble sourcing certain equipment which would help with preserving our crops/prepping in general.

She asked if there was anything she could bring over with her that I need.... partytime soooo where do I start lol???

She comes over every month or two and always brings a ton of luggage with her so she doesn't mind adding in extra bits for me that I can't get over here,or would cost a small fortune to ship in.

If you could put together a wishlist,what would you ask for?

So far I have

New lids for canning jars (I waterbath as I haven't got a canner)

Couple of packs of new jars

New screens for leather for my dehydrator

Cast iron apple peeler/slicer

Powdered eggs (I can't seem to find them over here anymore??)

And the whole of the Lehmans catalogue

happy02

I'd ask for a canner. They have them small enough, and if she could get you a weighted gauge canner where you wouldn't have to worry about getting the dial gauge checked every year, you'd be good to go. That would be at the top of my list.

Tons and tons of sealing lids would be next on the list because those might get hard for you to get in the days ahead.

I don't know if you do any whole grain prepping or not, but if you did, a grain grinder would be nice for her to bring over one of these trips.

Thanks Susie that'd be a great help grin Its driving me mad trying to find them here,all I can get are whites not whole egg products.

Darlene, ooh yes a canner banana I'd love a real proper one I've been looking on the forum for suggestions for a small weighted one she could easily carry over.I think she might be better bringing a shipping container next time blush

I have friends over there too who stock me up on smaller bits and pieces by post but the sort of stuff I need now is the larger,heavier items which cost a small fortune to ship here and then theres the customs charges...

I should add a foodsaver to my list too,they look a lot better than any similar products I've found over here.I wore out my last vacuum sealer I don't think it was meant for heavy duty food preps!

The dried egg company is called Igreca, ZA les Mulottières, 49140, Seiches Sur Le Loir, France. Telephone (33)0241211400 Fax (33)0241211401 I don't think you dial the first zero in the number when you call from another country.

I had to work hard to convince them that I really did want dried eggs even though I wadn't an industrial company ....You want what, Madame? For what? You plan to do what with them?... but in the end they agreed and sent me what they called 'samples'...one kilo platic jugs of 96 worth of whole eggs each. They also have just whites or just yolks.

The samples were not dated to last long, but I've had them for two years past their date and they're fine, both in the original unopened containers and also vacuum sealed in smaller quantities.

It was about eighteen euros for each kilo of whole egg.

(if you'd like to order but don't speak French, ket me know and we'll muddle through together)

Dee, Presto makes a nice weighted canner for about $60 US dollars. It holds 7 quarts, so still a nice size. I wouldn't want to try to find anything smaller. They must hold at least 4 quart sized jars to be safe to use for processing, anyway.

Mirro also makes a weighted gauge canner, but the Presto are easier to find new gaskets for around here. The gaskets last somewhere around 10 years, approx. That has been my experience with them.

If you don't already have any, canning and pickling salt is good to have, too. Fruit Fresh for keeping fruits brightly colored and fresh tasting. I add to the syrup when I can all my fruits.

Oh, and a plastic Bubble Freer for removing air bubbles from your jars.

I also have a lid rack for heating the lids. I love it.

Archived