MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Drying bread?

I just netted two large boxes of perfectly good bread. It is an embarrasment of riches. I gave away six loaves, and froze a few, but what about the rest? I'd like to say chicken food only as a last resort. I haven't made *good* breadcrumbs or breadcubes, so can someone tell me how to do tht properly?

To make breadcrumbs, I toast the bread (in the toaster or on cookie sheets in the oven), then bzzz it in my food processor. The drier they are the better product you get. I then store the crumbs in a baggie, in the freezer. The crumbs of a loaf take up substantially less space than a loaf. Storing them in the freezer is probably not necessary, if they are thoroughly dried, but it makes me feel better.

Ambergris,

Any stale or old bread I have, I dry it in the oven and once it is hard, break it into bits that will fit into my food processor. Like HSMom, I bzzzzzzzzz it in the food processor (IT IS LOUD!!!) and then add seasonings if I want - like Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, etc. I NEVER add salt.

This way, I can use lo-carb bread and make my sweetie lo-carb breading!

I store mine in a Tupperware cereal storer...I've fit AT LEAST 5 loaves of bread in this thing...dried of course!

Archived