MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mulberries

What can one do with mulberries and how do you get those darn stems off of them? shrug

We have an abundance of them and I would hate to see them go to waste.

Thanks! thanks

I have no idea how you get the little stems off. I've never cooked them but a relative of my DH's made rhubarb/mulberry pie that was absolutely delicious. I've found a recipe for you on the internet. It has almonds which "ours" didn't have.

Rhubarb Mulberry Pie

The pie crust is the "Flaky Pie Crust" from Garden of Vegan. I used the last of the rhubarb from the garden with some of the mulberries from the berry patch that we froze this year (about 4 cups fruit total). I tossed the fruit with 1/3 cup of flour and 1/3 cup of sugar (approximately) and about 1/4 tsp. each of powdered ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Then I topped it with a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup sliced almonds, more ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and a drizzle of oil until it got crumb-y. I baked it for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

I've also eaten mulberry jelly which is good. Here's another recipe I found on the net.

Mulberry Jelly

3 lbs. ripe mulberries

1/2 c. strained fresh lemon juice

7 c. sugar

1 bottle liquid pectin

Directions:

Put berries in saucepan and crush. Heat gently until juice starts to flow, then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Put in jelly cloth or bag, and squeeze out juice. Measure 3 c. juice into very large saucepan. Add lemon juice & sugar, mix well. Put over high heat & bring to boil, stirring constantly. At once stir in pectin. Then bring to a full rolling boil & boil hard for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off foam with metal spoon, and pour quickly into hot sterilized jars. Seal. Makes about eight 1/2 pint jars.

Can be used instead of blackberries in nearly any recipe.

Hope this helps!

I have white mulberries, just getting ripe, but with the lack of rain they are pretty dry. I can borrow a steam juicer. What color would the juice be? Would it be worth the effort?

Dora

Archived