MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning books

Fritz_Monroe

As someone that is just starting to look into canning and other preserving, I am kind of confused as to the the Ball canning book that is considered the canning "bible" So I figured that this thread could help me and other newbies with recommendations of get canning books to add to their libraries.

Is the Ball Blue Book of Preserving the book that everyone recommends? And where is the best place to get the book?

Besides this book, are there others that are as good? Maybe another good book of canning recipes?

From what I have read here it is usually cheaper to get the Ball Blue Book at Wal-Mart. I forget where I ordered mine from. I also like "The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest" by Carol W. Costenbader. It has some good recipes in it.

wormie

John

f_m, Ball also has a canning book called the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

You should be able to get it at your library or through interlibrary loan to get a look at it before purchasing, if you desire.

Also, ball has an online website that is a little tricky to find:

www.freshpreserving.com

They have some different canning recipes there, it is kind of fun to browse!

hth-

I just ordered my ball blue book from the fresh preserving site. I couldn't find it anywhere near me. I live out in the country and it was cheaper for me to order it through them than to waste gas going to the city. It was 6.95 with shipping. I'm still waiting on it though.

I know what you mean about travel time in getting some of these things Wendy. The days of me running to the grocery store for something little are long over since I moved.

Does the Ball Blue Book have water bath canning recipes also?

I looked at Ball's web site recipes. One thing I definately don't like is things like dill pickle recipes call for Ball's spices. I don't want to use a mix, I want to use the spices themselves.

Yes, Fritz_Monroe, the Ball Blue Book has some water bath canning recipes.

Just to mention a few, to give you an idea...

Brandied Pears

Honey-Orange slices

Mixed Fruits

Rhubarb

Cranberry Juice

Seasoned Tomato Sauce

Apple Butter

Blueberry Conserve

Apricot Jam

Kiwi Jam

Crab Apple Jelly

Carrot Marmalade