MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning question for soup with ground beef

help with some canning questions please!!! Ok. I have a quart of peas, 1/2 to 1 quart of butter beans, 1 to 2 quarts of cut off the cob field corn, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 to 2 cups of onion chopped, 1 quart of snap beans with a few older that have been shelled, 1 to 2 quarts of chopped tomatoes, and I would like to brown up about 1 1/2 lb ground beef. I am getting all of this chopped up, so that I can put on to boil to put into jars in the morning for canning. I looked at the ingredients in a ball blue book, and have seen that they should be pressured between 1 hour and 15 minutes and some places some of the ingredients should be 1 hour and 30 minutes. Should I just do the 1 hour and 30 minutes to be on the safe side? Do I just brown and wash the grease off the beef with hot water then add all the veggies to the beef with a couple quarts of water, bring to a boil for 5 or 10 minutes before filling the jars? These are all the veggies I got out of my garden this evening. thanks for any advice. shrug Also will have a quart of chopped homegrown potatoes. flowersmilie

I would do just as you said. Process the longest time, which will be the beef and probably the corn. I always rinse my beef to get the extra grease off. Sounds like some very good soup to me.

It depends. If you are using USDA guidelines for soup, you fill the jars half full of solids, the other half with your broth. Then process pints 60 min. quarts 75 min. in a pressure canner for the pressure you need for your altitude.

Here is the link. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

The reason for the shorter times is in the density. The Ball Book's soup recipe is more dense, requiring longer processing times. So, depends upon how you pack the soup in the jars.

I just filled my pot with these ingredients; 1 Q-chopped potatoe, 1 Q-peas, 1 Q-green beans, 1 1/2 Q-corn, 1 1/4 Q tomatoes in its own juice, 1/2 Q-butter beans, 1/4 Q-carrots, 1 Q-chopped onion, and 1 1/2 Q-browned ground meat. How much boiling water should I put into this mixture to cook down some. I thought about putting 2 Quarts of boiling water, but should I just put 1 Quart?

Archived