MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kale recipe (s)

Tracie

Okay, we have Kale and I don't know what to do with it. While searching for recipes, I found this:

Kale and Bean soup

* 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil

* 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced

* 1 medium yellow onion, chopped

* 4 cups chopped raw kale

* 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

* 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, such as cannellini or navy, undrained

* 4 plum tomatoes, chopped

* 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning

* Salt and pepper to taste

* 1 cup chopped parsley

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List

* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft. Add kale and saute, stirring, until wilted. Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. Stir into soup to thicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Soup-With-Kale/Detail.aspx

along with 19 more Kale recipes here:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Coo...r/Kale/Top.aspx

I really appreciate ya'll's kale recipes. Looks like it's something I can get to grow up here. Both the soup and the saute sound yummy. Percysgirl, what's ACV?

Here's what I did with my kale. I chopped it fine in the food processor along with some red onions 'cause some of the kale stems were a bit too thick. (Discovered a pretty green catepilar on the counter top afterwards and then wondered how many I had already chopped up! rofl) Then I put the kale and onions in my cast iron skillet with a little bit of olive oil (or bacon grease, can't remember), threw in some purslane and peas. Put the lid on and let it steam until the kale was wilted.

Cooked, the purslane tastes like fried vietamese noodles. It absorbs the fat and onion flavor and gets limp. Kind of tones down the kaliness of the kale. The peas didn't really add much.

Wonder if I could made a faux noodle dish from purslane? (NMChick slinks off to feed her purslane obsession.)

NMChick

I do a soup.

Slice 8 small red potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Boil in chicken broth, with some diced onion (or minced, dried onion) and a pressed garlic clove or three. Add cooked italian sausage, and wilted kale. Simmer a few minutes; remove from heat and add a splash or three of milk.

It's similar to Olive Garden's "Zoopa Tuscana." http://www.recipezaar.com/9782

• 1 month later...

I wonder if you could just throw your dried kale into soup? I never thought of drying it...I think maybe I'll do that...kale is a wonder! I think the old Scots word for kitchen was somehting like "kaleyard", because kale was such a staple.

For a Robert Burns dinner party (in my matchbox house) last January, for one of the side dishes I fried bacon and tore it into smaller pieces and set it aside, then quickly sauteed a bunch of kale in a bit of the bacon fat, not overcooking it at all...

people loved it! but maybe they were just relieved it wasn't HAGGIS? lol

My favorite Kale recipe is an Italian Kale Soup:

Saute up one pound of Italian Sausage with 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped, and 1/2 chopped onion. Add 3-5 sliced potatoes (I love used dried sliced potatoes that I get from Winco bulk section and I add about two good handfulls). Cover with Chicken stock. Bring up to a boil then add a big bunch of chopped kale. Cook until potatoes are done and kale is wilted. My mom adds half and half, but I just add milk. This is my families favorite soup and it takes very little time especially if you used dried dehydrated potatoes.

Archived