MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Spices

Genoa

I'm still contemplating a large purchase of dried spices---still having trouble parting with a few hundred dollars for spices! I know I'll use them, though, as I always make liberal use of spices when cooking. I'm considering how to store my stash of spices.

Most spices seem to come in either bags or plastic jars. Should I leave them as they are until I open them, or repackage them all when received?

For repackaging I'm considering the following three alternative:

1. Ziplock bags---the easiest option, but I think there are better ways to preserve the freshness of the spices.

2. Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers---this would be more time-consuming,given the need to seal and reseal these packages when removing spices to refill my small jars in the kitchen; they would store easily, as I could just toss the sealed bags in a clear Rubbermaid-type container and put on a shelf in the basement.

3. Canning jars sealed with my Pump-N-Seal and Foodsaver jar atachment---I'm leaning toward this solution, as I already have the jars and lids and they would be easily resealed and reused, compared to the mylar bags; the jars would store fairly easily on shelves, although not as easily (or quite as safely, if there was an earthquake) as just tossing bags into a plastic bin/box, which could go just about anywhere.

I order wholesale from Frontier. They've got the best prices I've seen on a lot of stuff. $250 order gets free shipping, and they carry more than just spices. They come sealed in mylar bags.

Once I open the bags, I put mine into a canning jar that I seal with my foodsaver.

if ordering by the pound...

I vacuum in 4 ounce weights. you may want to do 2 ounce but I use a lot of spices.

from there I have them stored in a tote in my pantry. They are fine in flavor even 10 years later... I buy in 10pound lots.

Westbrook, Do you use your Foodsaver? That's the one thing I don't have. I get by with the Pump-N-Seal to vacuum seal my spices in mason jars. I wonder if vacuum sealing in jars would be just as effective. I also wonder, if I used quart jars, whether taking some out and immediately vacuum sealing again would extend the life of the spices as much (or nearly as much) as your system. Like you, I use a lot of spices, so I would have some always opened for my day-to-day use and the rest in long-term storage in my basement.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally placed that order! Now I'm swimming in spices and need to get them stored, one way or the other. Since I don't have the Foodsaver, I'll probably have to go with the canning jars, although Westie's method would certainly be more convenient. It was really hard to part with so much money all at once, just for spices, but I know it will be well worth it.

Genoa,

Congrats on ordering your spices. I've been fortunate around here to find most of what I need at Costco, Winco, United Grocers/Cash & Carry, or food outlets. I'm sure you've also found that living in the 'moist' rofl NW that things need to be as airtight as possible.

I store my spices in Tupperware spice containers in the cupboard. I buy them on EBay for cheap. Then, the overflow is on the top shelf in larger spice containers. I'm starting to move toward a different method, though.

I've noticed that Tupperware is fine for MOST, but sometimes things like Mrs.Dash or finely powdered spices can still clump together. Some things like salt, pepper, and some seasonings are fine in the larger containers because I USE them a lot. Some however, need better storage. I found some of those European 2 Cup clasp jars with the rubber ring work really well and stack nicely in the cupboard. Although, with all my canning this year, I will probably end up using those for grain or bean storage and use Westie's method of a Foodsaver.

When I get my new foodsaver next week, I will probably start vacuuming things like a mad woman. woohoo

Plastic, tends to "attract" moisture, I’d use some silica dryers, If you have them, E-bay sells them!

I use some old glass& clamp & rubber seal, jars to store spices in + moisture absorbers.

Vacuum sealing works well, I do like my seal-a-meal, but would like to get the top of the line Food Saver. I like the canisters that you can get for a food saver, so practical! dee

Ziplock make a vacuum seal bag, and sells a hand pump just for their bags, these bags work well! I use a piece of masking tape over the pump-seal area to help insure continued vacuum seal of the bag. Reynolds also makes a re-sealable vacuum bag that calls for a battery operated pump... the hand operated on I think is the better of the two! beathorse

Archived