MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about 1/2 gallon canning jars

Campy

I have been thinking about getting some 1/2 gallon (and maybe some 1 gallon) canning jars - probably Blue Ball brand.

The question is: The majority of sites that advertise them state that they do not recommend them for canning. I plan on storing dry items such as dehydrated vegetables, instant potatoes, etc. in them.

Since they are not recommended for canning, will they be OK as AIR TIGHT containers using oxygen absorbers ? I THINK (boy does that get me in trouble at times grin ) they will be OK for that, but I wanted to check before I bought them.

Thanks

Thanks.

I wanted to check before I got myself in more trouble with the DW.

These days it seems that I can do nothing right. awwman

They are great for home storage. I inherited a few 1/2 gals and

will end up using these for oats, etc. I was told by the lady that taught out extension class that the problem with these jars is density - they hold SO MUCH that you can't safely heat them through to boiling...also, they are SO BIG some canners just won't fit them.

I've also got some really odd jars like lightning or hooch jars that are regular mouth, but have a place for a wire handle around the neck. I have NO IDEA what these 1/2 gals were originally used for, but will use them for dry things.

Any place that sells pickled eggs or whole pickles has the jars left over. Also we buy Kraft mayo in the gallon container and refill 4 wide mouth quarts. The gallon jug is very handy as it has a wide mouth and a handle. Pickled okra comes in 1/2 gallon jars. Recycle, recycle

Dora

Have you tried soaking the lids in a baking soda/water solution ? I have used this with SS thermos that had picked up some DECIDEDLY SMELLY ODORS from a long term storage. (I have been in some outhouses that smelled better than this thermos sick )

I let the solution (1 tbs of baking soda per quart of water) sit in the thermos for 2 days, then rinsed it out with very warm (not hot) water. It took 2 applications, but now you would never know the thermos ever had an odor.

When I saw some 1/2 gallon ball mason jars at my local ace hardware, I talked to the lady about them. She said you can really only can juice in them because there aren't any safe recipes for canning denser food. But you can can *something* in them.

They have the same seal as any other size wide-mouth jar. So I bought some and I am using them as air-tight storage (have garden seeds in 2 of them).

So yeah, I say go for it.

Archived