MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sauerkraut woes

MommaDogs

I typically make my sauerkraut by lacto fermentation, which requires that it remain refrigerated. I decided to try to make it using the Ball Blue Book so I could actually store it. First attempt, fruit flies got under the cheesecloth. It happens. Now, second attempt and three days into it, I have fuzzy white mold on top of the plate that is weighting the cabbage under the brine. I lifted off the plate and took off the top layer of cabbage. Is it ruined? Must I start over? I know some molds are OK and some are not, and this is white. Not sure if that says anything. Can I depend on the heat of the processing to kill the mold prior to canning? Or should I just go back to lacto fermentation, which never gives me these problems.

No, it isn't ruined and you don't have to start over. White is ok.

Go back to lacto. wink If you have a cool basement, you can store it down there in a crock instead of in the fridge in jars. I use a big old crock downstairs sitting on the basement floor to help keep it cool. If you don't have a fermenting crock, you can use any large crock-pot insert from Goodwill.

I just do mine in a 5 gallon bucket. I just make sure to soak it in hot bleach water for a while then rinse it several times afterwards. I use a recipe I got out of mother earth news a couple of years ago, works every time without a hitch.

shred cabbage, mix salt in layers until all cabbage is added. put the bucket on a sturdy chair and using hands squeeze and squish until enough juices has come out to submerge the cabbage and a plate with a gallon zip lock bag full of brine on top. I put aluminum foil over top as tight fitting as I can get it. put it in the closet for a few days, then every day open it up and scoop off the funky stuff from the top. after a couple of weeks I begin tasting the kraut, when it is where I want it, I water bath can it all up using as much brine as I can and supplementing with fresh brine if and when I come up short.

Now that I have a pressure canner I will most likely start using it. Also note you can add all kinds of fun stuff when you can it, like caraway seeds and a clove of garlic for Bavarian style, or a dash of sugar to cut the sharpness a little, or a wedge of apple if pressure canning.

Robert, you don't have to can it. You can move it to the fridge or into a crock in a cool place in the basement and it will last for months without canning, and it's loaded with probiotics when you do it like that. Canning it kills the probiotics and some of the vitamin content.

I looked back at the old recipe, it calls for 2 large heads of cabbage and 2-3 tablespoons of non iodized salt.

you shred 1 head of cabbage into your bucket then sprinkle half the salt over an even layer across the top of the shredded cabbage, then shred the other head and sprinkle the rest of the salt.

crush the cabbage with your hands until liquid comes out freely then cover with a plate and use a weight to hold the plate down. Cover the container and check after a couple of days. Remove the scum from the top of the liquid and repack. Repack and remove scum every 3 days. After a couple of weeks begin sampling the kraut to see if it tastes ready to eat.

they also mention you can do the same process and chop up 5-10 brussles sprouts and add them for sauersprouts!

After rereading this recipe I need to make ups some more kraut! I ran out about a month ago and my German blood is telling me I might just die if I don't get some home made brats with home made mustard sauerkraut and good fresh brotchen!

Originally Posted By: Percysgirl
Robert, you don't have to can it. You can move it to the fridge or into a crock in a cool place in the basement and it will last for months without canning, and it's loaded with probiotics when you do it like that. Canning it kills the probiotics and some of the vitamin content.

This is true, but when you do can it, it is shelf stable for a couple of years at least. I usually make up about 3 gallons of it and put a few quarts away in the fridge raw, then can up the rest for longer term storage.
Originally Posted By: MommaDogs
GREAT ideas, Robert, never thought of apple, but I bet that would be good. Thanks for taking the time to post.

My pleasure Mommadogs! I have a deep love of cooking, food preservation, and process food preparation the old ways. When I get an opportunity to share my experiences it gives me great joy!

Making Crout was always a fall must at our house when I was growing up. My DH never liked sour crout until he tried my Dad's.

He liked it so much that now he helps me shred it each fall. I let it ferment in a 5 gallon bucket in our cool garage. I use Dad's recipe, which is about like the one in the Ball canning book, but a bit saltier. I've never had trouble with mold on mine, so I can't help with that.

Good luck.

Oh Gheez...you are all driving me crazy! My mouth is now a waterfall...it's 2:00am and I want sauerkraut!

And to make matters wurst(pun intended), I am now trying to figure a)how to afford a second refrigerator/freezer b)where the heck am I going to find room to put it and last but not least c)what do I say to DH when all he finds in it is....sauerkraut!

Why, oh why did you have to give such full, mouthwatering, enticing descriptions? Was it really neeesary? See what you've done?

• 10 months later...

Archived