MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pork Butt

I know you ladies can help me. I need some ideas of new things I can do with Pork butts. I was given two yesterday. They were smoked and make awesome BBQ sandwiches, but we are begining to get tired of them. The only thing I can come up with is pork fried rice. I know there has to be some other things I can do with this yummy pork.

The guy that cooked it has won numerous BBQ championships, but we were given two other butts just last month. There's just the 4 of us, DH, me, DS 15 and DS 3. We love BBQ, but it's starting to get old. HELP!!!!! No way will I tell them no when they offer for fear that they wont offer it again. The meat is perfect and when it's free, it's hard to turn down. Last night I cut them in half and used the food saver and then froze them. I still have about a 1 1/2 pound chunk in my fridge from before.

Make ham & bean soup. The smoked flavor is not as overwhelming. A friend of my Husband gave us smoked venison. Didn't much care for it because it tasted like I was eating an ash tray. I put it in soup and it was nice and it wasn't that smokey. Plus, you may be able to can it, but you will have to check that out with all the pro canners in here.

oh goodness..

pork roast! then slice thinly for sandwiches! make gravy and pour over with potato and vegetables.

yes pork fried rice with left overs... recipes here some where for fried rice.

Can! can the pork meat to be made into BBQ or diced to be used in soups.. winter is coming.

shredded and used in tacos, enchiladas, tamales, in a flour tortilla -pork burrito. Most mexican cooking uses pork.

Thanks Ladybug and Westbrook! For supper tonight I sliced it and served it with gravy. It was really good. Tomorrow I have to take my MIL to the doctor, so I think I will use the left-overs in the crock-pot with some beans. Beans and cornbread, yummy!

This evening DH, the little one and I went pear picking. It was more like climb to the top of the tree and toss until we got tired of that and then we just gave the tree a few good shakes. Got 3 or 4 five gallon buckets full. A nice lady ran an ad for free pears in the local paper. She even had chickens and was about to feed them, so baby boy got to see all that. DH told her that I was wanting some and she even said she would give us a few to start with if we ever get a house for them. She said that she was 76 and had built her own chicken house a year or so ago. LOL She was a character. Wanted my phone number so she could call and chat. Dh knew her from years ago when she would buy catfish from him. Baby boy had to give her a hug and a kiss before we could leave. He's real shy.

We sometimes do a boiled dinner with the smoked pork butt. It's very easy just put the pork in a big pot with some water to cover and cook for 2 hours then put in whole potatoes, carrots, onions and a head of cabbage. Boil until done and serve with butter or malt vingegar.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived