MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wanted: good Antipasto recipe

I had a jar of the storebought kind, PoGo, by Guilianos. FAntastic stuff! Red bell pepper strips, whole pepperoncini, garlic cloves, and green olives.

Here's my recipe for Antipasto Marinade:

1 clove garlic minced (or 1/2 tsp dried)

2T balsamic vinegar

2T red wine vinegar

1tsp basil

1tsp oregano

1/2 C oil

salt and pepper

-I either make a plate of whatever I want (pepperoncini, roasted red pepper, black olives, mozarella chunks, tomatoes, pepperoni,etc) and drizzle it all over. If we're going to picnic, I'll throw it all together in a baggie.

The reason for the difference in safety is that the USDA ones have a high amount of bottled lemon juice, which is 2 times as acidic as vinegar.

The ones from USDA are safety tested and designed for canning. The other is a cooking recipe, not designed for canning. They are not the same thing when it comes to safe home food preservation. The oil in the marinade is too much compared to the amount of added acid. It would put a person at risk for botulism if it were canned. It could be frozen, though. I don't have a way to determine the correct ph level to can your own recipes at home, so I suggest ones that are already tested and ready for use.

This is from Bernardin, the Canadian version of Ball. I didn't know if you wanted to can it or just have one for fresh eating.

VEGETABLE ANTIPASTO

Makes about 7 (500 m)l jars

This antipasto recipe was specifically formulated to be processed safely in a boiling water canner. Do not deviate from the recipe ingredients and quantities as any change could affect the safety of the end product.

2 1/2 cups (625 ml) green beans cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces

2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cauliflower florets, about 1/2 medium head

2 cups (500 ml) diced onion, about 2 large

2 cups (500 ml) diced green pepper, 2 medium

2 cups (500 ml) diced red pepper, 2 medium

1 1/2 cups (375 ml) diced carrots, 3 to 4 medium

1 1/2 cups (375 ml) diced celery, 4 to 5 stalks

2 cups (500 ml) lightly packed brown sugar

3 tbsp (45 ml) pickling salt

2 cups (500 ml) red wine vinegar

3 cans (each 156 ml) tomato paste

4 tbsp (60 ml) worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp (30 ml) hot pepper sauce

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups (500 ml) diced peeled eggplant or unpeeled zucchini

3 tbsp (45 ml) dried basil

1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mustard

Prepare, measure and combine vegetables (including zucchini if using), except garlic and eggplant; set aside.

Place 7 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat water to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside; heat SNAP Lids in hot water, NOT boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and SNAP Lids hot until ready to use.

Combine brown sugar, salt, vinegar, tomato paste, worcestershire and hot pepper sauce and garlic in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil.

Prepare eggplant (if using); stir into hot sauce along with remaining vegetables. Stirring occasionally, return mixture to a boil; boil gently, 5 minutes to begin to soften vegetables. Remove from heat; stir in basil and mustard.

Ladle antipasto into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre SNAP Lid on jar; apply screw band securely & firmly until resistance is met –fingertip tight. Do not overtighten. Place jar in canner; repeat for remaining antipasto.

Cover canner; bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 25 minutes.* When processing time is complete, turn heat off and remove canner lid. When boil subsides - bubbles no longer rise to surface (3 to 5 minutes) - remove jars without tilting. Cool jars upright, undisturbed 24 hours. DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.

After cooling, check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place.

Note: Because antipasto is available commercially, many people believe they can preserve their own recipe at home. Most traditional antipasto recipes cannot be home canned safely in a boiling water bath canner. (However, some can be frozen successfully.) When the recipe adds low acid foods such as tuna (or other canned seafood), olives, mushrooms, vegetables and/or oil– the resulting food mixture needs to be processed at temperatures higher than those that can be reached in a boiling water canner. These higher temperatures are essential to avoid the risk of deadly botulism poisoning. Processing filled jars of homemade antipasto in a pressure canner is unsuccessful because the temperature/time combinations required to eliminate the risk of botulism destroys the integrity of the vegetables resulting in a product that is almost spreadable. This Vegetarian Antipaso recipe has been specially formulated and tested to allow low acid vegetables (with added vinegar) to be processed safely in a boiling water canner. It yields a product with a well-balanced flavour and varied texture. Do NOT alter ingredients or measures.

When ready to serve, to make a traditional antipasto, toss the contents of a jar of Vegetarian Antipasto with tuna, salmon or shrimp and add your personal finishing touches–mushrooms, olive oil and/or olives. Or, just serve this delicious Antipasto on its own. It’s delicious as a spread, dip or appetizer.

Originally Posted By: Canned Nerd
I didn't come to this forum to argue or debate. The NCHFP recipes are safe, the above is not.

Canned Nerd, I wasn't attempting to argue or debate.

I asked you a simple question in an honest attempt to learn why you were advocating a certain kind of recipe shouldn't be canned. I've never claimed to know it all, and am quite willing to learn new things.

I gave my opinion about safe recipes of that kind, and provided a link for that kind of recipe that can be safely canned, only as background for why I hold that opinion. I did so not in an effort to debate or argue, but in an attempt of learning something new, as I had been taught contrary to your statement.

Originally Posted By: Violet
…The ones from USDA are safety tested and designed for canning. The other is a cooking recipe, not designed for canning. They are not the same thing when it comes to safe home food preservation. The oil in the marinade is too much compared to the amount of added acid. It would put a person at risk for botulism if it were canned. It could be frozen, though...

Thank you, Violet, for the explanation. smile

Archived