MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My new dehydrator

kathy003

I got my new Excalibur dehydrator last week and used it yesterday. What a difference! I noticed it immediately. I dehydrated strawberries,, my whole house smelled like Strawberries! And they came out great. With my old dehydrator i never smelled the banana's.

It worked great! Thank for all the advice.

I purchased a "Good4You" dehydrator, a 10 drawer unit, came with 10 mesh screens 10 non-stick fruit roll-up liners, I do like it so very well. I too smell the items within.

It does not have the door, however, as each drawer seals the front.

You should enjoy yours very much, i hear the Excalibur dehydrators are nice. Have fun!

My Nesco Gardenmaster 1000 has been getting a real workout drying a bushel+ of apples since we got back from our trip. I've even had to resort to limited use of a Ronco dehydrator to keep on top of the apples, so they do not start going bad before I get to them.

The Ronco isn't great--only REALLY does ok with 1-3 trays. But in a pinch, it works.

The Gardenmaster is my primary dryer, and I have 6 trays for it. I would like another pair of trays for Christmas!

VIC303: The Ronco will work SLIGHTLY better if it's insulated, in some way. Bubble wrap on the sides and top, ( Just not on the air intakes).

Inside a cardboard box, ( large than the Ronco, ( about 1 or 3 inch clearance)

If you sew, make a "COZY" (quilted cover) for it. It will work a bit faster, because the heat is not lost as quickly. ( again cant cover the air intake).

Even tho I have a nice unit, I'm making a plywood box for it to sit in, for insulating purposes. The old-timers, who had no electricity, and used the SUN to dehydrate with, generally made their "Boxes" of double walled plywood. ......

I hope this helps!

I love the bananas i dried, their sooooooo Good!

I did not know the Ronco is FAN-LESS! Oh my Goodness!

My "Good4You" is my first dehydrator, but I think If I had one with NO fan, I still use it base, affixed to a plywood box, and a small fan in there too. . . . . . .

Well, Im trying my hand a drying Broccoli: : i cut off just the dark green buds at the top. I want to add these to my dry Broccoli soup, which never seems to have enough Broccoli!

Archived