MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my first pressure canning experience

kathy003

was fantastic!!!!

I pressure canned green beans! 5 pints!

I have a dial gauge presto canner and was a little nervous when the steam started to come out the top. i had to let it vent for 10 minutes, then put the regulator on. I think my DH knew i was nervous so the sweetie stood by me the whole time! He did comment on how watching the gauge to make sure it stayed at 11 lbs was like watching paint dry,, lol. For me the 20 minutes went by quickly.

Now that i've done it, i kinda laugh at myself because I put it off for a few weeks. I was pretty intimidated. Next I will do carrots then potatoes.

Stephanie and Cat stayed with me in the shout box while I did this.,, i really appreciate that,, you guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: kathy003
was fantastic!!!!

I pressure canned green beans! 5 pints!

I have a dial gauge presto canner and was a little nervous when the steam started to come out the top. i had to let it vent for 10 minutes, then put the regulator on. I think my DH knew i was nervous so the sweetie stood by me the whole time! He did comment on how watching the gauge to make sure it stayed at 11 lbs was like watching paint dry,, lol. For me the 20 minutes went by quickly.

Now that i've done it, i kinda laugh at myself because I put it off for a few weeks. I was pretty intimidated. Next I will do carrots then potatoes.

Stephanie and Cat stayed with me in the shout box while I did this.,, i really appreciate that,, you guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! My first canning was last year. I had to take pictures and stare at the jars for days.

Kathy,

Good for you. If you have a newer Presto you can get a three piece weight set and use it as a weighted gauge canner, then no gauge to get tested or watch. You just listen to the weight jiggle away.

(you did get your gauge tested, right ? Even a new gauge can be off by as much as 4 lb.)

Order Presto part 50332 if you are interested in the weight set. I love using mine that way ! Makes my life easier.

Happy canning !

Congratulations on your first and its gratifying to know your SO stayed by your side to watch. And to do it with a gauge canner too. That is something to pat your back on.

I agree with Violet that you might find things more relaxing by converting your canner to a weight gauge. Much simpler and avoids having to also get that gauge tested.

Thanks violet, I am going to look into getting one of those.

I did get the gauge tested. The extension that tested it said it was accurate at 11 lbs. of pressure, off a bit at 15 lbs. and way off at 22 lbs. but as she said, I won't be canning at that many lbs. anyway.

Yay, Kathy!! smile

And I honor you. I've been canning since I was a kid, and I'm no good at canning with a gauge. I borrowed a Presto with the gauge this year when I got overwhelmed a couple days with too much produce.

And that thing...I was pretty scared. And my husband did not stand with me. LOL

Good for you! You were brave to face your fears, and as Westie said, you are hooked!

I sorta wondered the same thing. She seemed very, very helpful and knew I was coming a long way ( i had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there) so maybe she just did it for the heck of it? I told her i would never can at 22 lbs of pressure as that is the danger zone, she said she knew that but was just checking to see how accurate the gauge was.

helpful is the only thing i could think of.

Archived