MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning ground pork?

hopegrows

I got a great deal on some ground pork today and I would like to can at least half of the 20 lbs I bought. It is plain pork, no seasonings and is currently frozen in 5 pound chunks. I have made ground turkey into a version of sausage but it uses sage and the Ball book says that becomes bitter when canned. It recomends basil, but does not give any directions. The basil took over the new herb bed this year, so I have plenty of that. I am open to any ideas you all might have!

AS small amount of sage isnt gonna hurt it,,, remember "small". I have made fresh hogs sausage and partially fried it before canning it. I put a small cut round of parchment paper between the patties as i filled the jars. Used wide mouth pint jars, leaving at least 1/2 inch head space, Applied lids and rings and pressure canned for 90 minutes.

You can also can slices of bacon rolled in parchment paper and placed in quart jars the same way. Just dont pre-cook it, instead it will cook when it is pressure canned and the lard that you see set up in the jar when it cools won't hurt it. Then you can fry it to crisp it when you open it to use.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Yes, I have canned sausage and bacon too, just do it according to the 'Ball Blue Book' and you will be fine. It is like Twilap said. smile I had more problems with the bacon, as I didn't put any parchment paper with it. But, it is ok and it gets used too. smile

So good to see you T. smile

FALLHAVEAGOODDAYPUMPKINS.gifHugsPumpkinGlitter.gif

Sausage with a little sage should be fine, I agree.

Bacon should not be canned. It is way too fatty to be safely canned. Where did you get the information on canning it ?

Always ask yourself the source of the information as to whether or not they have credentials/training in food preservation safety. That, and also the date of the information. Things have changed, even according to old USDA guidelines as more study and testing has been done over the years.

Bacon should not be canned. It is way too fatty to be safely canned.

Yikes, I was thinking what a great idea it would be to have bacon canned. After nearly losing everything in my freezer 2 times in the last 6 months, I want to can everything that I have!

Here is what I use to make sausage, help me figure this out to make it cannable. Or just give me another recipie! help

Sausage meat balls

2 lb ground turkey

1 cup bread crumbs

2 eggs

3 t salt

1.5 t sage

1/4 t pepper

2 T water

Thanks!

I looked at that link, Violet, and have a question.

Part of the instructions reads, "cut cased sausage into 3- to 4-inch links." Does that mean that sausage links (or even hot dogs) can be home canned, if cut into pieces? I don't see where it says anything about removing the casing. Aren't there usually fillers that would preclude canning? Or perhaps this is just referring to ground sausage that has been stuffed into casings---which I usually remove and just use the sausage inside anyway.

Archived