MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fresh Garlic Question

Can garlic be pressed and saved in a sealed container. Every now and then we get a good deal on a lot of fresh garlic and end up losing some to drying out. If pressed, should something be added to help preserve it? Should it even be pressed? Can you simply keep the garlic buds in a container?

Inquiring Bears want to know.

Bag and freeze it. Blanching is not necessary but often is done to keep it from changing color when used in a recipe.

Keep some in a jar filled with wine vinegar (not oil) and it will last forever and also be good enough to snack on after awhile. Just fill with more cloves as you use them up.

Thanks for the tips, I was looking at the bundles of garlic at Walmart, and was wondering what I could do with so much garlic, not wanting to freeze it all. I have a very tiny freezer in my apartment frig. The wine vinegar would work, but then wouldn't regular vinegar? If it is just preserving needed, white vinegar would be better for me, although I can see the flavoring would certainly be better with wine vinegar. I am the only one consuming it so it doesn't matter to me in my cooking.

Archived