MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

bubbles in my canned split pea soup

Robert Z

I made some split pea soup and it still got thick upon coming to room temp. Mine gets very thick when I make it, esp after it's been in the refridgerator, so when I made it with the intentions of canning it I followed the recipe, and still added more stock so it would be on the thin side. It was thick but still pourable when I took the jars out of the canner, they did not get really thick until they came to room temp.

I am thinking that as long as they were thin enough so the solution still "moves" when the jars come out of the canner then the food was not too dense as to affect the heat transfer process.

Maybe others can chime in on the thickness of their pea soup.

I just can the peas with salt and some dry onions. I soak the peas in hot water for an hour before putting them in the jars. (Half jar of soaked peas, tablespoon of onions, teaspoon of salt, top with water or broth). Then if I want pea soup I just dump the jar in a pot with more water and some ham and the soup is ready in a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: Violet
Robert,
It will depend upon just how thick it is. Also, did you use a safety tested recipe or method ? I guess my question is, did you thicken the soup with any flour, etc ? Need to know to insure it is safe before I answer you.

Violet,
No I didnt add any thickeners. I pretty much followed the recipe, except I did them more like I do pinto beans. I boiled a country ham bone (with some extra ham) in the water before I started simmering my peas, then removed the country ham and reserved to add to the jars. Beyond that I followed the recipe pertty much. I did not see the note to add boiling water if too thick.

Does it still "move" when you shake the jars ? If not, then I would say it is too thick and could spoil in the jars. The heat just can't pentrate it enough if it is too thick and they are underprocessed that way.

If it seems really thick, I would open them and either freeze or thin them down and reprocess them.

I would think it would have to be pretty watery to slosh in the jars after it has cooled. Mine was thickish but still a little sloshy when I took it out but is pretty thick now,it still "moves" a little though.

Maybe the other soup canners will chime in.

Archived