MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cabbage

I love cabbage! feedme

Okay, of course there is slaw...don't forget slaw!

Here's one of my favorites! My family has been making it forever and we all love it.

Cabbage Rotel

1 lb of bulk sausage (mild or hot)

1 head of cabbage (or as much as will fit in your cookware)

1 can of Rotel Tomatoes (I often use store brand)

Crumble and fry out sausage (I use my VERY LARGE cast iron skillet) Do not drain!

Core and cut the cabbage into small wedges (triangle shape) and I don't mean chopped, these are big chunks.

Layer the cabbage all over the top of the sausage, do not stir.

Pour the rotel tomatoes over the cabbage, cover and cook on low until the cabbage is done. Stir only when ready to serve.

This is really realy good! happy02

Oriental salad.

Finely shred about 1/2 large head cabbage. Add some shredded carrot & a touch of red cabbage for color. You're trying to make it look like storebought bagged coleslaw mix.

shatter 1 brick of Ramen noodles and dump dry noodles into cabbage mix. (Remove flavor pak ). Add 1/2 c toasted salted sunflower seeds (already shelled ones).

Mix in a bowl, 1/4c sesame oil, 1/4c olive oil, ramen flavor pkt, 2 T sugar, 2-3T rice vinegar, 1/4t black pepper. Mix until the oil is not separated & then dump over cabbage mix and stir well. Eat!

Steamed cabbage with stewed tomatoes over it.

Stewed Tomatoes

This is a recipe I made daily in a restaurant in South Carolina maybe 20 years ago. There were no measurements, just handfuls and dashes of ingredients. It went like this--

Canned whole tomatoes

Put in a sauce pan and crush up the whole tomatoes

Add a spoonful of margerine

A heaping spoonful of Brown Sugar

Salt

White Pepper

Heat till bubbly then thicken with cornstarch mixed with water.

Pour into a baking dish, top with buttered bread crumbs and bake till tomato mixture bubbles around the edges and over the bread crumbs. Serve over steamed cabbage

My family likes fried cabbage over mashed potatoes. I fry a thinly sliced onion in a bit of butter in my biggest frying pan, then add the cabbage, also thinly sliced. I toss it around with my tongs until it is all soft and browned. It fills the pan at first, but shrinks down quite a bit. A big spoonful over a scoop of mashed potatoes is very good.

you can can it too, though the new books say you can't because it 'gets strong'. i always thought cabbage was sposta taste strong! that is what makes it healthy!

Westbrook, the suffer diet? LOL No, thanks. I'm a size 2 and desperately trying to gain weight! Maybe eating cabbage isn't what I need after all! LOL

After I vote, I'm going to come home and start shredding to dehydrate it. I figure I'll do that for 3 heads and use the remaining head for the Cabbage rotel tonight. I offered to give two heads away to a good friend, so that should wrap it up, IF she gets by the house!

Archived