MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

can we can paté

Robert Z

I would assume that pate is way too dense. You can freeze it, I think.

It is not safe to can. That guy does some things that are truly considered unsafe by USDA standards. No pureed low acid food is safe to can, which would include meats.

They may do it in other countries, but here we consider it unsafe. Pureed meats have been tested in labs. The heat cannot safely penetrate the food to insure it is safe.

Pate' is far too dense to can safely. Have you seen the texture of that stuff lately? This is why you make it fresh or buy it from a vendor who does...

Paté is what the French live off...there is always a can of it opened at the table, served along with a baguette and a sour pickle. And when the pig is killed, it's the first thing that that's canned.

The basic recipe goes like this...

Kill your pig and then grind up the throat part and the liver, add salt and pepper and hot pepper if you like. Pack into jars along with a bayleaf and then...this is were the French do it different...boil water bath it for three hours.

True...paté looks an awful lot like dogfood.

My Mom was visiting here during our annual saltfest, and it bappened that I had let one of the paté and pig product stalls use our electricity during the festival. The owner came by with a big plate heaped with paté and foie gras to say thankyou when I was upstairs....and I narrowly saved the entire plateful from being fed to the dog by my Mom, who was disgusted that all he gave us to thank us was 'dogfood'.

Archived