MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Comfrey Root Ointment

urbanforager

As this is my first Christmas with you all, I thought I'd give everyone a present. Here's a recipe for Comfrey Root Ointment.

Macerate 3 oz comfrey root, cut and dried, in 6 T olive oil for 2 weeks. Strain. Melt 1 1/4 oz beeswax. Stir in strained olive oil and 1 c castor oil, then 20 drops of essential oil (I use eucalyptus). Pour into jars and let cool.

This is a multipurpose ointment (and a good recipe to start with if you want to use other ingredients such as plantain or calendula). It is effective against cuts, wounds, contusions, tendonitis, joint pain, fractures, and wrinkles.

And here is my (latest) personal testimony. We had an ice storm here late last week, and as I was walking out to the car afterwards, I slipped and landed pretty hard, catching myself on the heel of my right hand. I went out and did my errands, grousing the whole time to myself about how my hand hurt -- nothing serious, but a dull, grinding ache. I couldn't wait to get home to my jar of comfrey root ointment! I finally spread some on (not a lot! just a glob about half the size of a dime), and worked it well into the flesh at the base of my hand. Within five minutes the pain was gone. I had just a spot of bruising, and that went away quickly too.

I use CRO for every little thing at home, and this is just the latest "miracle cure". Last month I gave a jar to a fellow volunteer at the food pantry at the church down the block from us. I'm eager to see her this Saturday to hear how it worked on her arthritis.

Emu oil is a carrier oil that closely resembles our own cells. if you add some emu oil to the ointment, it will actually cause it to penetrate deeper and will work better on muscle aches that it would without it. Thanks for this recipe! Merry Christmas!

Comfrey is indeed a very nice miracle, Christmas or otherwise..I have grown and used it for many many years. I make some similar salves (the recipes are in the herbal formulas above)but have also used it as a fomentation, poultice, or compress, etc.

On monday I had a very serious, visit to the ER, fall. Nothing broken but the pain is severe and so was the swelling in various parts of my body. I used comfrey root poltices on the worst of them and where I did, the bruises are barely noticable. Other places are dark blue. I will be out of commission in a wheelchair for a good long time yet but I know the comfrey will speed the process of healing. By the way, one of it's names is Knit bone.

Now a warning. No, not the one about comfrey and liver problems though there is that warning for injesting it. Do NOT put comfrey on infected or dirty wounds. Though comfrey will clear an infection in most instances it also heals extremely fast and has been known to heal a wound over so fast that the infection is sealed IN. Make sure that all open wounds are very clean (thyme works well for that) before applying any comfrey products.

I believe that Lois has some information about Comfrey above as well. It's worth a look at.

Thanks for giving this gift Urbanforager. It was a GREAT idea. grin

bighug

Originally Posted By: Mother

Now a warning. Do NOT put comfrey on infected or dirty wounds. Though comfrey will clear an infection in most instances it also heals extremely fast and has been known to heal a wound over so fast that the infection is sealed IN. Make sure that all open wounds are very clean (thyme works well for that) before applying any comfrey products.

Thanks VERY much, Mother, for that reminder. I should have put that in there, but my mind was on muscle aches and bruise control, and I disremembered the cuts and open wounds bit. You're absolutely right.

I DID remember to tell someone about this just last night. I had given some to a friend for use on her hip joint (it doesn't seem to be working for her frown but she thinks the joint is out of place and needs to be attended to by a cracklepractor.) Her DD had her gallbladder out recently, and I suggested they use it on the incision site to speed healing. In that situation, I DID remember to warn them how quickly it works.

I'm so happy that everyone is finding this useful. Merry Christmas everyone! bighug

Archived