MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cooking once, eating several times, all different

I like to make a 'base dish' and dress it differently to create several meals without more hassle. One base is parboiled rice cooked with dried onions (or fresh if you prefer) with or without diced celery, diced carrots and chopped bell peppers (depending on whether or not I have them). I add some homecanned chicken when the rice and veggies are done. I divide this base up into several meals. You can stash the base in one container in the fridge and take out what you need to heat up for each meal.

Dish one adds pineapple, chopped ham, and sour cream or plain yogurt. You can add a little ginger and brown sugar or honey if you like.

Dish two, grated cheese melted over the rice combo and picante sauce or rotel tomatoes over the top.

Dish three, pour spaghetti sauce over the rice base. You can add canned mushrooms and canned olives and mozzarella cheese if you like. It is good with or without.

Dish four, open a jar of beans. We like pintos or small pink, some people like black. Spread the rice in a baking pan, mix the beans with cumin and chili seasoning to taste and spoon over the rice. Heat in oven till good and hot and grate cheddar or Velveeta over it.

Anybody else have a base dish that you dress differently?

In my recipe book that is labeled as "Rice Bowl" and my favorite is with some corn and covered in gravy, with sometimes leftover diced meat mixed in.

My favorite "base" however is a good grilled steak. From that I just start added from whatever I find in the refrigerator or in the pantry.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for...

We make a huge pot of 'chunked' potatoes. The first part is eaten as a side dish; while I put some in a casserole with onions, milk, a little flour, and cheese to make scalloped potatoes; then the rest (including any leftovers) is made into potato soup with either milk, sour cream, green onions, peas, carrots, parsley and a little diced bacon; or a chicken broth based potato soup. Sometimes we open a can of corned beef (or dice a fresh one), add some carrots and onion, and make hash, too.

A large pot of beans is done the same. Divided and made into chili, bean dip, and refried beans.

CGA, is the homecanned chicken included in the original base, or was it just what you added for the first night?

I often stew a chicken, pick off bone, and then make chicken and Dumplings, save some chicken for Stove Top Casserole another night. Chicken sanwiches for lunch.

Archived