MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Osteoporosis, Is there anything to help

Snowmom

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I've been taking Fosamax for about 2 years now and have just learned that using any of this type of medication can possibly cause cancer in the throat or stomach. Therefore, would love to be able to find something besides these drugs to help with osteoporosis.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Google Dr Mercola's website. Sorry, I haven't learned how to do links yet.

He has a search feature that lets you search topics you'd like to research. He has published many articles and findings about drugs and tells you how to treat problems naturally.

He's been a great help for me.

There has been a proven link toward weight bearing exercise and slowing down or actually stopping osteoporosis. The bones actually GAIN in density with a regimen of weight bearing exercise. Parsley is a great, easy way to get calcium into the diet as well as 11 oz of alligator meat per week. LOL! Heard that on NPR. You have to ingest vitamin C to aid in absorption of calcium.

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

THANKYOUTREEANDHOME.jpg both for this info. Now to see what the dr. has to say.

I don't think I will be eating any alligator any time soon. :);) But, I can do some of the weight lefting. :)

Thanks again.

enjoyyourdaysnowman.gifHUGS37.gif

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I've been taking Fosamax for about 2 years now and have just learned that using any of this type of medication can possibly cause cancer in the throat or stomach. Therefore, would love to be able to find something besides these drugs to help with osteoporosis.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Fosamax IS DOCUMENTED to cause SPONTANEOUS fractures of the thigh and hip.

Weight training (using the 5lb+ dumbbells) will promote a higher bone density.

I started lifting weights by buying a book with different exercises in it and imitating them--with a can of green beans in each hand. They weigh a bit over a pound. After I wasn't tired at 20 anymore I went to bleach bottles with three pounds of water in them. Then 5# of water. It was way easier for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have your Vitamin D level checked as well. I have osteopenia and my D levels were very low. It doesn't matter how much calcium you ingest if you don't have enough Vit. D. Weight bearing exercise and HRT is helpful.

One thing about Fosamax that you may not know is that it can cause jaw necrosis if you have a tooth pulled or any type of oral surgery. My best friend was on Fosamax for over 5 years and now she has a cracked tooth that the dentist won't pull unless there is absolutely no other option. She discontinued the Fosamax but unfortunately the risk never goes away even after you stop taking it.

Archived