MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone know how to make Lemon Rice Soup

Does anyone know how to make Lemon Rice Soup? I've searched my recipe books and none of them have it. I've also checked a few sites and none of the recipes have the same "feel" as the soup you get in most Greek Restaurants.

Here's the recipe I have, but I don't know what the "feel" is in most Greek restaurants. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Lemon Rice Soup

6 c. of chicken broth

1 1/2 to 2 c. pf cooked rice

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1 whole fresh lemon

1 or 2 beaten eggs (optional)

Salt and pepper

1. First bring broth to a boil.

2. Then just remove from heat.

3. Then you want to take some to mix with egg when mixed.

4. Now you want to pour egg and broth back in soup.

5. Next you want to stir until egg is cooked.

6. Then you want to add the juice and the pulp from lemon, rice, salt, cream of chicken (optional) and pepper.

7. Finally you can garnish with parsley.

I went to dogpile.com and looked up "Greek Lemon Rice Soup + recipe". I have NO IDEA what you're looking for *exactly*, so I'll let you look through them, ok?

Dogpile - Greek Lemon Rice Soup search

I noticed this one includes rice and lemon, but it's called "Greek Soup":

GREEK SOUP

1 lb. ground lamb

1 egg, beaten

1 tsp. salt

1 clove garlic, minced

Dash of pepper

1/4 c. bread crumbs

26 oz. canned regular strength chicken broth or 3 1/2 to 4 c. homemade chicken broth

1 lg. onion, finely chopped

1/2 tsp. crumbled oregano

2 tbsp. dry rice

3/4 lb. zucchini, thinly sliced

Lemon wedges

Mix first 6 ingredients and form meatballs. Without adding oil, brown on all sides. Set aside.

In 4-quart kettle, bring broth, onion, oregano and rice to a boil. Add meatballs. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Uncover. Add zucchini and cook until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Pass lemon wedges to squeeze into individual servings. Makes 4 meal-size servings.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1648,157185-250194,00.html

~~~~~~~~~

So you might want to search that way, too. :)

:bighug2:

I browsed through one of my Greek cookbooks, and found a recipe for SOUTZOUKAKIA LEMONATA (Meatballs with rice and herbs in lemon broth).

Does the soup you're thinking of contain meatballs? If you're interested in this recipe, I'll post it for you.

I browsed through one of my Greek cookbooks, and found a recipe for SOUTZOUKAKIA LEMONATA (Meatballs with rice and herbs in lemon broth).

Does the soup you're thinking of contain meatballs? If you're interested in this recipe, I'll post it for you.

It's not but it sounds wonderful! Would you mind posting it, please?

Thanks!

Jori

Here's the recipe I have, but I don't know what the "feel" is in most Greek restaurants. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Lemon Rice Soup

6 c. of chicken broth

1 1/2 to 2 c. pf cooked rice

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1 whole fresh lemon

1 or 2 beaten eggs (optional)

Salt and pepper

1. First bring broth to a boil.

2. Then just remove from heat.

3. Then you want to take some to mix with egg when mixed.

4. Now you want to pour egg and broth back in soup.

5. Next you want to stir until egg is cooked.

6. Then you want to add the juice and the pulp from lemon, rice, salt, cream of chicken (optional) and pepper.

7. Finally you can garnish with parsley.

I guess I'm thinking comfort food. I'm going to try this next week for soup night before it finally warms up and stays warm here. Thanks

It's not but it sounds wonderful! Would you mind posting it, please?

Thanks!

Jori

Soutzoukakia Lemonata (Meatballs with Rice and Herbs in Lemon Broth)

Makes about 26 meatballs; 4 to 6 servings

1 pound lean ground beef, veal, lamb or pork, or a combination

1/2 cup medium grain rice, such as Arborio

3 - 4 scallions (white and most of the green parts), finely chopped

1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup chopped fresh mint

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/3 cup olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 large onion, chopped

1 cup dry white wine

2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups stock (chicken or beef)

3 – 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley, dill, mint and/or cilantro

In a large bowl, combine the meat, rice, scallions, parsley, dill, cilantro, mint, egg, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Knead well, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Shape 2 tablespoons sized portions of the meat mixture into balls. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate.

In a large, deep skillet with a lid or in a Dutch oven, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and sauté the onion over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Add 2 cups of the stock and salt to taste. Add the meatballs to the skillet; they should be completely covered with stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup of the stock and 3 tablespoons lemon juice and cook for 10 more minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through and the liquid is reduced to 1 cup. If the meatballs are not cooked, add more stock and cook briefly. Taste and adjust the seasonings with lemon juice, salt and/or pepper.

Serve in soup bowls, garnished with herb sprigs.

Variation

The sauce can be thickened with an egg-lemon sauce. Add only half of the lemon juice to the broth. When the meatballs are cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In a small bowl, beat 1 large egg with 3 tablespoons water. Gradually whisk in the remaining lemon juice and the sauce from the pan. Return the sauce to the pan and gently reheat over very low heat, stirring constantly. Pour over the meatballs and serve.

Archived