MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lid Question

Hello all! :bouquet:

Okay, so I asked on freecycle and got a huge bunch of canning jars, pints AND quarts (I'm just today finishing up washing them all. Okay, I can procrastinate with the best of y'all!). Yay me! (For the jars, not the procrastinating.)

I was also given a bunch of lids. Some of them are one-piece lids, which I'd never seen before, and they're kinda cool. They look just like two-piece lids with both of the pieces together. Some of them have been used, so I'll just use those for lids, not for canning.

Aaaand here's my actual question. I also have a bunch of wide-mouth lids -- not the bands, just the lids. Now, these jars (and, presumably, the lids) have been sitting around for a loooong time -- the newspaper some of them were wrapped in was from December 20, 1985. (I was still in high school then! :P ) Are the lids safe to use? I got to wondering about that. At first I was just going to chuck them in the recycling bin, since I have no idea how they were stored. (In someone's basement or garage is my best guess.) But then I thought, well, how is that different than the drawer full of lids I have in my kitchen?

So what's everyone's considered opinion? Shall I save these old lids and use them? Or shall I recycle them? (BTW, they've obviously not been used before. They're still in the sealed boxes.)

Thanks everyone for your input!

Years ago we used to get those one piece lids. I used to love them !! My suggestion is to check the sealing compound. If it seems nice and pliable, but not gummy at all, then they should be fine for use. They may be ones that were only meant for boiling water bath canning, not pressure canning. I would need to know more about them. Do they have a brand on them ? Do they have a big red button in the middle ?

I am jealous ! I used to just LOVE those lids. They would "pop" loud when they would seal. My momma and I used to can with them.

I am happy for you to have gotten all the lovely jars and lids.

Normally the current shelf life of lids, manufactured today, is about 6 to 7 years, if stored in a cool environment. We suggest new ones each year, but technically, they will keep on the shelf the 6 to 7 years.

Oh, and jars in yearly use have a basic life of about 13 years.

Thank you, Violet! The lids are just regular Ball lids. They look just exactly like the ones I have stored in my kitchen drawer; the packaging is different, but that's it. The sealing compound is nice and soft, so I think they'll work just fine. I also ended up with a box of rubber seals. I have no idea what I'll use those for. :mellow: Ah well.

Congrats on the jars and lids. Can you imagine the cost of them in a month or two. I buy a box or two every trip to the market(lids). Long as that seal is not rigid it shouild be OK. Something else you may want to get is "Sure Jell" and other canning supplies--NOW. They will disappear soon as everyone starts canning season. wc

Those rubber seals can come in handy if you find those old clasp-jars at the thrift store. I got a bunch from my gramma and I use them for dry storage of dehydrated things like peas, corn, carrots, celery, etc. Nice. :)

Congrats on the find! We all should be so lucky!

Archived